We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

sfc scannow - wont complete, many missing file errors?

theDarkness
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a fairly new installation of windows 8 64-bit, fully updated. I attempted a system file check, and have noticed that sfc /scannow does not complete. I have had similar reports with windows vista and 7 not finishing, and as with them, 8 runs with no problems. No hard drive errors. I have also tried scannow with UAC off in safe mode. Do you think compatibility with hardware or software could be preventing the system check finishing and locating the files to correct (or files to use for correction), be down to the likelyhood of errors during the original updates, or the fact that these files were never there in the first place - what do you think? Here is my log. The system is an acer v3-531, and has had no modifications.

I am seeing a lot of 'PublicKey neutral in the store, file is missing' and 'file not found' notifications. Of how much importance would you take this? I dont want to have to restore or repair if that means re-installing software and updating windows all over again-judging by the poor speed of microsofts update service, I would be very surprised if I was error free by the end. lol. Thanks for any tips.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If everything is working OK, I wouldn't bother with scannow.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

If you are not having problems why do you feel the need run scannow? And I very much doubt if many here would understand your log file. It is certainly meaningless to me.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If SFC is unable to repair corrupted system files because the store (source) is corrupted, then you could run the Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth command to fix Windows component store corruption, then afterwards try running the SFC scan again.

If you have to many files that are corrupted, then run the Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth command to repair any component store corruption, restart the PC afterwards, and try the sfc /scannow command again.

If you only have a few, then you could manually extract a new copy directly from your Windows 8 installation DVD or USB stick.

Like this post  
theDarkness

Likes # 0

Windows update service gives me failure errors 30 percent of the time during a large system update, eg from initial installation from a backup (acer doesnt give out discs) to having all service packs up until present. I need to retry more than a couple of times in order to have success. Windows lists many updates at once to choose from, and I wonder if this is related to any recommended installation order, hence the failures of certain updates.

After the system is completely up to date, I check the overall system, due to these initial update failures. If a systems own file checker cannot complete with errors, whether the system is up to date and running fine or not, then something must be incorrect somewhere. It completed once, but never again, despite no changes.

I do wonder if scannow may not always report or fix things as it should, but I like to prevent future issues where possible. thanks for the link and replies :)

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Scannow is flawed as it might take a few times to run it to correct a problem. I'm surprised Acer doesn't allow for the burning of factory restore discs, though. Very important with Win 8 as no key is printed on a lable on the case.

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

I havent had any blue screens since vista, so until then it would seem 7 and 8 are far more stable. I had to make my own backup cd with them. I suppose its all about companies saving and making more money. I wouldnt be surprised if the majority of big name pc sellers no longer gave out full operating systems on disc with a bought system-if thats the case then you could argue youre not really getting what you pay for. acer pre-installs its own software too (perhaps most companies do), so until they decide to make their own custom windows discs, a standard dvd backup of 8 could wipe that content, which they might not be happy with anyone doing. the laptop came with a few apps and programs from acer and other supported companies that not everyone may be too keen on (eg movie rental shortcuts on the desktop, a game app which mainly only led to trial software etc). I suppose some may think of this as helpful if they are into their entertainment media, but it can all be downloaded from the web out of your own choice anyway-not something you would have had to purchase or be unable to obtain otherwise, aside from its cloud service.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

theDarkness you still haven't said that an Acer restore to factory settings isn't available on your PC. I suggest you find out how to burn these discs. Information should be available on your PC in the form of Acer backup managment I should think.

I don't own an Acer PC but they are legally required to support a way of burning discs to restore the PC to factory settings along with a restore partition.

Your personal documents are your responsibility.

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

yes, at first I was referring to creating a disc back up only using windows 8's own default software, which would likely remove acers own programs and pre-installed features. I have managed to get back to 8, and have found it does have acer recovery management, which can restore the system to factory state via burning a new disc. Regardless, I would still prefer the company to have included an physical operating system backup disc with a computer purchase, whether they have the equivalent software pre-installed or not :)

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I agree they should, but having setup 7 or 8 laptops / PCs over the last year, not one came supplied with a disk. I make a point of burning a set of recovery disks for the owner - makes my life easier in the future when the drive fails!

Like this post
Tboneator1964

Likes # 0

Regarding rdave13's Acer's not allowing the burning of factory restore discs for Windows 8: Acer Recovery Management has an official YouTube video (Upload date: Published on 25 Oct 2012.) in which the apparent only option for setting up a factory default restoration is via a Flash Drive with a minimum capacity of 16 GB (Acer recommends a 32GB FD, which I don't have!). While I'm guessing this because of systems now being manufactured without DVD Drives, I really hate the fact that we Windows 8 users are apparently not even given the multi-disc burning option, which can provide a non erasable FULL recovery setup, should the hard drive's recovery system somehow become inaccessible! I'm personally NOT comfortable with trusting an erasable Flash Drive, (Which is quite easy to misplace and/or erase!) for my failsafe full Operating System recovery option!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......