We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

MS Word, corrupt memory stick issues.

Phoenixx87

Likes # 0

Basically I bought a memory stick from Kingston because I work from home as a tutor and I wanted somewhere to save my work. When I put the memory stick in the laptop and turned it on it said unable to read disk on a black background with white text. I took the memory stick out and then it booted up ok. I did some work on a word document and saved it, when I closed and tried to open it I got all the pages loaded with the word count but they were all blank. I found a fix where u delete somethin in the regedit (http://www.msofficeforums.com/word/8181-all-my-word-documents-opening-blank.html) I did all these fixes from this site. I then tried opening it a few more times and I got an error i think something mse46 and something to do with converting, after clicking the X the document opened but with all squares on it (I cant remember if I got the error before or after the fixes) I thought it was a problem with the memory stick so I went on the PC and found one of the first saved versions (before I moved it to the laptop and worked some more on it), this opened fine so I put it on the new memory stick and one of my old ones. On the new memory stick I got the same issue but on the old one I didnt. Today I turned my PC on and it took forever to load. I tried to upload work for a student and when I clicked browse to add a file it didnt do anything. I opened some word documents from the PC fine and when I went to save it worked ok. When I clicked save as it opened but wouldnt let me change the folder it just gave me the message 'initialising the root folders to display' I tried to click close and nothing happened, ctrl alt del didnt do anything, shut down didnt do anything I ended up turning it off at the plug. I have a 6yr old PC on XP and my laptop that I mentioned runs on Vista I dont know more about operating systems to give any more information and I was using MS Office (word) 2007. I have Microsoft Security Essentials and run Malwarebytes, Adaware and disk defrag pretty frequently and I run scans from MSE probably once a week. As you can appreciate working from home I really need my computer, I have the work on a memory stick but as the laptop is working OK I don't want to put anything in it that might corrupt it too until I know what I'm dealing with. It seems all the problems I had were since I got this memory stick I had no issues prior to it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features