We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wanted - Free Protection Software for my Android Tablet PC

Graphicool1
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi Guys

Does anyone know where I can get Free Protection Software for my Android Tablet PC. All the ones I've seen have been for Android Phones. But they rarely say this up front as they just for Android?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Not sure you need protection yet, but I've installed the Android version of Avast onto a tablet. You can download it from Google Play

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

I have Lookout on both my Galaxy S4 and Galaxy 10.1 tablet.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi onthelimit1

Yes, on my desktop PC I use Avast Anti Virus, they advertise Avast for Android. So I installed it. However, like all the other protection ware that I've seen, it transpires that when they say Android they mean an Android phone.

I thought I could perhaps still use Avast and just ignore the bits of their programme that refer to a phone. Sadly, this doesn't seem possible. As I haven't been able to by-pass the screen that asks for my 4-6 digit PIN number. Naturally I haven't got a pin number.

Hi compumac

I've not heard of 'Lookout' my Android is a Chronus 10.1, thanks for that, I'll check it out.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I've done the same as onthelimit1, installed Avast on a Nexsus 7, just the basics and haven't set up the firewall. Hasn't asked for a pin as not set up in settings.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I use Zoner on my android tablet.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

rdave13

I've just attempted an uninstall on Avast, it said it had, but it hasn't. I'll try again.

Like this post  
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

I turned the tablet off and on again and Avast was gone. I've now downloaded and installed it again. It just did a scan and found no problems, that's good news. Everything seems to be fine now, no more PIN nag screen. I think first time around I must have click a PIN set button or something.

Thanx guys

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try thuis, go to apps, select 'running' apps, select Avast and stop all the services. Go to 'all' apps, select Avast, 'force stop' then uninstall.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Cross posted, glad you got it running ok.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

No problem, cheers

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...