We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Help to remove Police Virus in XP Home SP3 please

Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

My older Desktop which my son uses seems to be infected with what he says is the police virus.

I have tried to boot to the main account user in safe mode which when gets to the desktop shuts down. I boot normally to the desktop and its a white screen.

The only account I can boot to is to the Administrator in Safe Mode, if I run superantispyware portable in the administrator account will this attack it and shut it down ?

Thanks in advance

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 1

Hi Audio~~Chip

This any good...CLICK HERE for a walkthrough

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Not sure if you are able to try this.

click here

You cant use the Kaspersky Rescue Disk as you need an internet connection for that.

Now your older desktop does it have one of your security programs on Screen.

If so once you sign in you have a fraction of a second or so to click on your security program before the screen goes white.Try and click on the security program it may take quite a few attempts before you get it but if you manage your security program will open up in front of the Ransomware.

Worth a try I managed it about a fortnight ago on my sons computer and managed to click on his malwarebytes program and that got rid of it.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I would try your superantispyware, or malwarebytes if you already have it on your computer.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

The easiest way to remove a stubborn virus is to make regular backups to an external HD say every week or month depending how often you add or remove programs etc and then recover from the latest good one. There are plenty of free backup programs available.

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

Ok,

This afternoon I tried every step without sucess following Grahicool1 link. The media.exe sting was not in the Modify box of the Registry editor nor under any entry. I tried the KIS Rescue disk v10 and this wouldn't run then I tried a ISO via a memory stick and still would not run to be able to control it nor get past the Licence agreement screen.

I will try Jock1e idea tomorrow.

Thanks so far.

Cheers Steven

Like this post
chrissy1

Likes # 0

This happened to me not too long ago. I finally took it for repair at local shop. I was on Vista but they got rid of the virus for me and put Windows 7 on for me too which is better than Vista i think....Cost me £40 though.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Would a system restore solve the problem.

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

Superanti spyware, Malwarebytes and system restore would not work. You can not remove a virus using system restore as the infection will stay in the registry. Unless you replace the registry which will corrupt windows this way.

I have done a data recovery and got all the required work off safe and scanned it to be clean.

I find this virus had infected one of the older Java installs but couldn't access the known infected file.

Currently in the process of performing a factory system recovery clean installing windows now.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I've had a number of computers with this virus now, and the Kaspersky Rescue disc has worked every time when the BIOS was changed to boot from CD/DVD, so not sure why it wouldn't run for you.

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

Just one that beat me, tried everything and followed the suggestions but it just wouldn't play ball for me. Machine now clean installed with windows.

Thanks to everyone who posted in. I will keep the notes on the instructions.

Cheers

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S6 release date, features and specs rumours: When will the Galaxy S6 come out?

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...