We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

7 shut down twice in 5 mins

jerica

Likes # 0

Hi, having got over 7 not shutting down it is now shutting down every five mins or so. Did it the other day and now doing it again. No warning, just stops and then re boots. When it has rebooted it says it's just recovered from an unexpected shut down, did I want 7 to investigate and when I press yes it does nothing. Help please.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"Bug check string nothing there"

The "Bug check code" would be just as useful.

Also, do the other recent reports all show the same code and driver? If not then remember to post those details too.

PS: I'm not so sure it is a problem with your house electrics. If it was then your computers wouldn't be able to compile a crash-dump report file before restarting.

Like this post
jerica

Likes # 0

Bug check code 0x00000124 it's the same on three reports. Caused by driver (1) dump_ataport.sys (2) ntoskrnl.exe (3) ntoskrnl.exe

Caused by address ntoskrnl.exe+4ade0c same for the three again.

Another thing that has happened is that I tried updating the graphics driver on both machines, one is Nvidia and is working ok (but still rebooting) and the other is a ATI radeon and now it starts OK in safe mode but on a normal start up the screen is full of crazy patterns although there is a blob that can just be seen that is obviously the curser. I'm wondering that it means that in safe mode it uses the on board graphics rather than the graphics card???????

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"Bug check code 0x00000124......"

Unfortunately that stop code can be caused by all manner of hardware problems so there's not going to be a quick fix. Have a look here for things you can try. I'd personally leave step #7 as the very last resort.

" I'm wondering that it means that in safe mode it uses the on board graphics rather than the graphics card???????"

Windows uses a standard generic VGA driver in Safe Mode which is different from the one in Normal Mode. It seems like you've installed an incompatible driver for your video adapter so boot into Safe Mode with Networking, go to Control Panel -> Device Manager and either uninstall, update, or rollback the driver.

Like this post
jerica

Likes # 0

Hi, solved the graphics problem by uninstalling the new driver and re-installing the old one. Running memory checks on both machines as I type this on a laptop. Both hard drive checks said ok and I'm checking the RAM now, so far MemTest says 140.1% coverage 0 faults, not quite sure what 140% means but if I knew about computers I wouldn't be begging for help. Thanks for any assistance.

Like this post
jerica

Likes # 0

OK, ran hard drive and RAM checks on both computers and nothing wrong found. One machine crashed twice yesterday and within 5mins of firing up today. Interesting thing yesterday in that the cursor kept changing from a pointing finger to and arrow then to a double horizontal arrow then to a small vertical line. Thinking of taking the re-install windows route, does 7ultimate have a repair facility and if it does will I lose much info on the computer? Thanks.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...