We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Apparent Hard Disk failure imminent

spras

Likes # 0

My 4-year old Dell Studio laptop has recently being throwing up errors that it's hard disk is about to fail. It's failing the SMART test, which the BIOS tells me about, and then on boot windows does so again. I've run chkdsk across the drive and it shows no problem. Is there any further way of verifying that a catastrophic failure is indeed imminent?

The data is backed up. I ask becuase I'm on the cusp of buying a new laptop, which I was going to do in a month or so anyway but will have to bring forward if the HDD really is about to go under.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Did you tick both boxes when running chkdsk or not.

Ticking the one box found no problems on my grand daughters computer but when ticking both boxes it stopped at the same point every time.

Is your Laptop running fairly slow or has it not got to that stage.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Download ,install and run this futuremark. If it shows errors then my advice would be to get a new HDD.

Like this post
spras

Likes # 0

Thanks for that tool. Very useful. It's showing the disk as bad, so a new one is in order. Although I'm having a slightly hard time understanding the information it actually shows and would like to be able to get some sort of indication whether this disk is going to go under in hours, days, weeks - although I suspect it's impossible to determine that with precision I wonder if anyone could tell me the significance of the problems

05 111 111 140 0000000002C6 Reallocated Sectors Count (marked as Red)

C5 198 198 __0 000000000069 Current Pending Sector Count (marked as Yellow)

Also are there any good guides out there on monitoring disk health on a more regular basis and interpreting the data these types of tools gives?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I have not come across any such software and I suspect you would need engineering qualifications to understand most of the data shown. If you know the make of your hdd then check on their website to see if they have tools, most do, not that the info will be easier to understand.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

'Also are there any good guides out there on monitoring disk health on a more regular basis'

I think that as soon as there are indications of it failing, the best option is to buy a new one and clone the old to it. Free tools from the drive manufactures and takes minutes.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded