We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 Update Error message

tonyq

Likes # 0

Hi all,I keep getting the following error message coming up.Windows 7 laptop.

UPDATE-1.EXE has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available

I have searched the Internet for a solution to no avail.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

There are trojans that install a file by the name of "updater.exe".. If you haven't already,run a full system scan

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

tonyq - Is it just an error message that keeps popping up - are any of your programs affected or not?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

There's more info here tonyq - enter link description here

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Another link Tony - enter link description here

Like this post
Mrs_K

Likes # 0

I keep having the same message, it suddenly opens MULTIPLE times on my computer per second for about 15 or 20 seconds. Though it says "Update ~ 1.EXE has stopped working" . I'm thinking it's not something I want on my computer either.

Like this post
tonyq

Likes # 0

Mrs_K,that is exactly what I am getting.

I have done a normal and safe mode scan using McAfee/Malewarebytes and Superantispyware. Which show no problems.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Have you checked in Taskmanager under processes to see what programs are using up the CPU when that happens.

I would also check msconfig and add remove to see if anything on there that should not be.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room