We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problem Formating a hard drive

chris05
Resolved

Likes # 0

Mate of mine has a Sony Viao he tried to format using an original version of winodws 7 what he didn't know was that he could have pressed F10 and restored his system with the built in recovery tools, anyway basically it failed to install windows I now have the disk tried the F10 solution that failed as well, tried taking the harddrive out and putting it in a external case backed up recovery partition then tried formating the drive with every tool I could find now here is where it gets freaky I deleted all partition using diskpart so I was pretty much left with a naked harddrive which showed only as 1 drive in my computer (originally it had 3 partition system reserved volume - Recovery Volume - then the primary windows volume) I tried to format it at which point it recreated all 3 partition and now I have no access to the primary it just say access denied. Now at the stage I am thinking of turning the harddrvie into a rugby ball and see if I can convert it :-/ just seems it needs to be completely stripped out and all partition tables rebuilding but some how it's having none of it HELP PLEASE :-)

Like this post

Likes # 0

Why don't you just start all over again? - once you have scored the winning conversion at Twickenham!! I would download Gparted, burn it to a CD, reformat to to a single NTFS partition and then reinstall a brand new copy of Win7. If you don't have an installation disk ,go to MS's site at Digital River, download your version, burn it to a DVD and install with your own CoA - Windows 7 Download

Like this post
chris05

Likes # 0

Used DISKPART and other dos tools booting up from Hirens boot cd (full of good apps)even used the DELETE PART OVERRIDE while in windows setup (shift F10)on the recovery partition of the harddrive it said it had deleted it then I removed the rest of the partitions, as soon as i try to recreate partitions and format it it fails and the harddrive goes back to the 3 original partitions never seen anything like it been at it all day even managed to mess up and had to format my own c drive (idiot but my bad at least I am a backup freak was up and running again in no time lol) apparently the drive has a EISA protection tell ya what I wish my windows drive was this resilient it would never matter if it crashed it would just fix itself (wishful thinking)anyway I am out of ideas just digging my heels in the grass now to make the drive a little perch before it gets launched :/

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Try making the recovery partition 'active' and then reboot, it should boot into the recovery.. (fingers crossed) it worked with XP so worth a try with W7

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Oh, wait a minute, aren't you supposed to hold down the Alt key when you press F10? Alt+F10

Like this post
chris05

Likes # 0

I can get into the recovery program but it fails to recover anything the built in harddrive recovery program found errors but failed to fix them really mental!!

Like this post
chris05

Likes # 0

Well may as well close this one gave my mate the laptop back told him to contact sony and if they say the HD is broke I will get him a new one and start from there cheers for the help fellas.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features