We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

RAM issues

twisted1504

Likes # 0

i have just built a new PC and installed 8GB of DDR3 ram on a 64bit OS windows 7 HP , however it says 8GB installed 3.97GB useable please help as iv try ed everything and its really stressing me out :( my friends have told me the ram isn't compatible with my board its my CPU and also been told its because of my GFX card

SPECS CPU- AMD FX 4100 MOTHERBOARD - MSI 970A-G46 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz GFX - palit 9600gt 1GB PSU - Akasa 750w

Like this post
Zak

Likes # 0

Plse see last entry of this thread; may solve your problem as it appears that the detection of the full RAM depends on the slots you are using on the MB

[SOLVED] RAM 8GB only detect 3.97GB in 64bit OS ???

Like this post
twisted1504

Likes # 0

iv try ed slot 1 and 3 then iv try ed 2 and 4 same thing is happening

Like this post
Zak

Likes # 0

I take it that you have checked RAM with memtest to make sure the sticks are OK

Also here is some more things to try

Post by jaquith MEMORY MASTER 6 June 2012 20:54:09

Like this post
twisted1504

Likes # 0

from what iv read it sounds like a mobo issue as i have done everything else they have tryed

Like this post
Zak

Likes # 0

Sorry to hear that, and I have run out of ideas; best to RMA the mobo. Good luck and please let us know the final outcome.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Looking at your mobo manual your RAM should be installed in slots 2 and 4 and as far as I can make out your RAM is compatible with the motherboard.

Does the BIOS detect the full 8GB of RAM? If not then it is either a faulty module or faulty mobo.

A simple test boot with (1) stick then swap out the other, and if one fails then RMA the RAM for a new SET not just (1) stick.

Use Memtest86 and see if you are getting errors.

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

Does your OS show as 64bit in control panel/system? . If it shows as a 32 bit OS that could explain why it can only use 4GB. Silly question, but are you counting the slots from the correct direction. It has happened before. Slot 1 should be next to the CPU.

Like this post
twisted1504

Likes # 0

yes 64bit OS shows and tested each stick both working fine so i replaced the mobo and all is good now never using MSI again gone back to ASUS thanks for your help

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...