We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laptop closes down/restarts when burning a video file/film?

buel

Likes # 0

Hi, For the last four years I have used my Medion Vista laptop for burning various video files and it has been brilliant. I've used various programmes such as Nero and ConvertxtoDVD without a problem.

Today, it keeps turning off during the converting/burning process. The first link below is what I seen whilst I was browsing earlier but not burning (I had to restart as it froze). The second link is what the task manager said was going on whilst burning the video file. Please can I ask why my laptop has suddenly become unable to burn things without turning off. I have checked and the laptop is never too warm to the touch when this happens so I don't think overheating is an issue.

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa214/craigten/310520131399-1.jpg http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa214/craigten/230620131439.jpg

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Really could do with some help here?

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

buel: I infer from what you say that the laptop only freezes when you're converting/burning video? My initial thought was that you have some kind of memory error, and video editing is the kind of app that uses your memory to the maximum - other apps probably stretch it less. Given that it used to work, and now doesn't, I'm thinking hardware rather than software - a corrupt driver, for example, might cause the symptoms you're seeing, but if you haven't changed anything... Can you run memtest, and at least eliminate that as the cause?

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Thank you for the reply. To clarify, the laptop only freezes when I have a lot of pages/tabs open (never used to be a problem) but dies instantly then restarts when converting/burning. Sometimes when it tries to restart it then dies again after a few seconds. Hope this helps.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Hmmm... I know you think overheating isn't the issue, but a processor/memory intensive application will certainly warm things up - and if it's still too hot when it restarts, that would cause it to almost immediately die again. Have you given it a good clean out? If it's not a memory error or overheating, I have to say, I'm stumped...

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi, Thanks for that. I restarted after it being off all night and it lasted about 3 minutes and I hadn't even opened any pages/tabs.

However, after coming home from work I ran an Avast quick scan, didn't find anything and then did a hard drive disc check and it paused for about 30 minutes on a certain point. I will post the picture now, it would appear a problem with a Nero file?

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

And now it dies when Im simply browsing? Id really like some ideas please...

Like this post
michaelw

Likes # 0

Could the hd be on the way out?

What errors are there in Event Viewer?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide