We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Upgrade to Windows 7 from xppro

swapper
Resolved

Likes # 0

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600 OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation System Name HOME-TOWER System Manufacturer P4i6G System Model P4i65G System Type X86-based PC Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 5 GenuineIntel ~2799 Mhz BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P1.40, 31/07/2007 SMBIOS Version 2.3 Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32 Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1 Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)" User Name HOME-TOWER\ Time Zone GMT Daylight Time Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB Available Physical Memory 600.86 MB Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB Page File Space 1.78 GB Page File C:\pagefile.sys ................................. Hello, Support for Winxp is ending next year, and that I know that I should upgrade. Windows 7 upgrade is available at £98.

Can anyone advise me please? should I upgrade to Vista or Win7. will my system support either..Good, Well, Fairly well or don't bother!

Would all of my Docs, pictures, music etc. import to either o.k.

Thank you for any advice.

Like this post
swapper

Likes # 0

I'm sorry about the way my question has appeared...a mess. I used Notepad to copy and past the system and it looked o.k. at the time

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I have upgraded several XP machines to Win 7 with no problems. Just read the screen as you do it and don't go clicking things before you have read them and thought about them. I played safe and copied all my files to a USB stick before hand but did not have to use it.

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Hello

Having carefully read through your specifications it appears you have 1GB RAM which is hared with Onboard graphics.

If you install Windows 7 on this set up it will be as dynamic as a snail moving through molasses.

Got to Crucial.com/uk and run the scanner. This will confirm how much RAM is installed and advise the maximum amount your motherboard can accept. You need at least 2GB to run W7 Stick to W7 32bit unless your motherboard will accept 4GB RAM, or more.

I would consider buying a graphics card in order to free up more RAM for the system to use.

Stay away from Vista! An upgrade to W7 is a sensible move if you can get enough RAM.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

You will get it cheaper here.

Click here

Maybe give this a run to see if it will upgrade Ok.

Click Here

Like this post  
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Just wanted to endorse jollyjohn's key points - you'll need more memory, and don't bother with Vista. With more memory, W7 should be fine.

Like this post
swapper

Likes # 0

Thank you all.

Jock1e, I have run the "Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Report, it was very interesting. It seems that I could perform a custom installation of 32 bit windows 7. The majority of my programmes are compatible, or updateable, the remainder I could live with without. There are a couple of items of my hardware that are borderline. With this in mind I think that I will leave things as they are until the end of the year and buy a new desktop drive, this might push me to Windows 8. But at least I know now! So thanks again for all the input.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I think the new version of Windows 8 comes out round about October but it is one of those programs that you like or don't like.

I am not that keen on it but you have to go with the times and not stay in the past so best of luck with whatever you do.

I think the beta version of Windows 8.1 comes out on Wednesday and it will be interesting to see what difference it makes.

Not a lot I suppose but we shall soon find out.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

swapper

I suppose you could always try the beta version of W/8.1 just to see how you get on with it.

The problem with that is when the full version is available you will have to remove the Beta version and then install the full version.

Anyhow something to think about if you get bored.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

If you are going down the Windows 7 32bit route, you will be limited to addressing 4GB of memory regardless of how much (more than that) may be installed.

Of that 4GB, some will be reserved for other hardware addressing, meaning that you will get 3.5GB or less of usable memory. The biggest culprit for this is video RAM. For this reason it would probably NOT be a good idea to install a video card as it may well have more RAM assigned to it than your existing on-board graphics. Certainly the more video RAM a graphics card has the more of that 4GB address space it will eat up.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

Also, by way of contrast to my post above, Windows 7 32bit requires a lot less memory to run than Windows 7 64bit. So you would need to add less memory to work (well) with Windows 7 32bit than 64bit (as long as whatever the 32bit gives you is adequate for you without forcing a heavy swap load).

It's not just Windows 7 32bit that is smaller but also other things like drivers (a 32 bit OS requires 32 bit drivers whereas a 64 bit OS requires 64 bit drivers)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV setup advice: Apple TV hacks to help you create the ultimate Apple TV hub in your home