We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Thumbnails for all video files are GONE and replaced by players' icons...Any ideas?

Takeshi-Fujimoto

Likes # 0

Hi, I have no idea what might have caused it but all the thumbnails for all my video files are now replaced with the players' icons. My PC is Windows 8 Pro x64 by the way and I have tried the following already:

Clearing & rebuilding icons' cache with windows disk cleanup tool and CCleaner; Updating & reinstalling players; Double-checking Windows performance/visual setting 5 times; Installing different codec packs that gave me random, irrelevant, unfamiliar, non-comprehensive thumbnails that failed to show up in folders view (thus it did not fix anything to the way things used to be); Checking the folder options back-and-forth; Merging a pre-written .reg code file to set the thumbnails to show; Scanning for viruses/spyware/registry errors, etc; ...that's probably all I can list from the top of my head right now but please - I'd like to hear your ideas or suggestions to can get to the bottom of this unfortunate and indeed mysterious case - you have my ears, folks. Thank you all in advance...

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"thumbnails for all my video files are now replaced with the players' icons"

Presume this is in Windows Explorer | View | Thumbnails

Which Players?

What are the file .extensions? (avi, wmv, flv etc)

As you mention multiple players, which player is set as the Default for which particular file extensions?

Like this post
Takeshi-Fujimoto

Likes # 0

Hi lotvic, thanks for your reply. While I've been trying to resolve this issue, I set each and every video file type to open with Windows Media Player (AVI, MP4, WMV, MKV, MPG to be short) and after I did not succeed, I repeated all the tests, checks and procedures having all them file types set to VLC and it was no different... It seems to me that it's something beyond the players' configurations and causes, that it's somewhat in the explorer...I'm clueless...

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Did you try the solution on answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum (MrVeliborB 13th Mar 2013) and install the 64bit k-lite codec pack?

Like this post
Takeshi-Fujimoto

Likes # 0

I did but the codec packs' thumbs are completely different (random, irrelevant, unfamiliar, non-comprehensive) and they don't show when looking at a folder with vids which is not what I used to have. You see, I never had a codec pack of any sort installed on my system (I was happy with the built-in VLC codecs) and the thumbnails for both VLC and WMP were able to generate, display and also show on folders...

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Well as you seem to have already tried suggestions and lots more, I guess you are going to have to slog your way through each 'solution' until you hit upon one that works for your setup.

Have you tried a System Restore back to a date when it was okay?

Like this post
Takeshi-Fujimoto

Likes # 0

Unfortunately, System Restore was disabled on my hard drive ((( I'll be looking into the registry furthermore, maybe I can spot something))

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Tips for selling on eBay: auction tactics to get the best price for second-hand products