We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

XP runs out in April!

Narendra

Likes # 0

Hello,

I understand Windows XP runs out next April and there will not any security patches from the Microsoft then on. If I install Xp in VIRTUALBOX as a guest to Windows 7, will that be safe? Actually I have that kind of configuration at the moment and do not wish to discard XP. Please advise! Thank you. Narendra.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I still am using Win 3.1 on one PC that drives a label printer, Win 98 on a couple of machines that run on dedicated machines and a mixture of XP and Win 7 on the network which has about 45 PCs on it. No Win 8 at the moment as I can still get Win 7 on new machines.

Anyway Win XP will last for many years yet, it wont suddenly stop in April.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I have computer's with ME,XP Home on one XP Pro on another,Vista,W7 (2 machines) and in all fairness my main preferred is still XP. Just made a purchase of an oldist Apple computer, but haven't got around to playing with it yet.

I also note that all my local hospitals still seem to have the XP logo floating around their various department's monitor screens, so there must be something going for that system.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Still use DOS 5 and 6, Win 1.1 on laptops certain programs that won't run on later versions of windows.

Win 98 on a HP omnibook laptop that's in good condition (no battery working) but am about to dump for the space.

Win 200 pro on another HP laptop, again battery almost U/S.

Vista on my main laptop for presentation

XP Home on this Medion desktop and XP pro on a IBM Workstation.

Will get round to buying a new Chillblast Lynx or Longbow later this year [been saying this for a couple of years now ;0)] that will probably have w7 or 8 but that will probably mean some of my favourite old programs might not run on it.

Like this post
Burn-it

Likes # 0

I started computing in 1968 on an IBM 1130 that had been expensively upgraded to 8k memory. It was used to make some of the machine tool control tapes that were needed to manufacture some of the parts for Concord.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...