We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

XP runs out in April!

Narendra

Likes # 0

Hello,

I understand Windows XP runs out next April and there will not any security patches from the Microsoft then on. If I install Xp in VIRTUALBOX as a guest to Windows 7, will that be safe? Actually I have that kind of configuration at the moment and do not wish to discard XP. Please advise! Thank you. Narendra.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

I've never even upgraded to SP3, let alone kept up to date with security patches. Perhaps I've been lucky that - touch wood - nothing bad happened to me, but I don't care about future support for XP. I know, I know: "irresponsible", "asking for trouble" etc. etc. :-)

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Have not used it for years so no great loss to me.But that said XP was where I cut my teeth so to speak.

I am more concerned about windows 9 and hope that Microsoft will not make the same mistakes as Vista 2 (Windows8).

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Chronos: I'd always assumed you cut your teeth on 3.1, Or DOS, even... :-)

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I have several machines with XP on

the programs used on XP will be patched after April the bad guys already concentrate on the majority systems in current use such as Vista W7 W8

keep AV and malware progs up to date

and therefore I'm not worried

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Ian in Northampton

Nope I was a very late starter,I think I was around 45 when I bought my first PC which was overpriced and had Windows 98 but it was not long before XP came out which I bought on the day of release. That was my one and only ready made PC I ever bought. since then I have built every PC I have owned which has taught me more about the inner workings of a PC than I think I would have learned if I had gone the other way and just bought my PC's.

Like this post
Narendra

Likes # 0

Thank you very much for your replies. I'll use the XP with the Virtualbox on W7 host!

To Ian:

You are about my age now, about 63! In 1994 I had blood clot in the brain, almost died but lived on! Bought Dell PC System in 1999, was intrigued by its workings, reead A+ Certificaion from Micheal Meyers, opened it up, the tower, and since then I have built my own computers! Now running, XP, W7 and Linux Ubuntu on the same machine! But was not sure about XP, whether to run it after april, next yesr! But if worst comes, I'll use ReactOS, which I hope, will be ready by then! Regards. Narendra.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

I bought my wife a PC for her birthday (yeah, right... ;-) ) back in 1996. It was a Gateway with 64MB of memory, running Windows 95. It cost (including monitor) £1,600! I remember doubling the size of main memory from 32MB when I bought it without thinking too hard about it - but agonised for a long time whether I should have the optional modem fitted. I just couldn't work out why we might ever want to go online. But I ended up buying the modem anyway - just in case... :-) But while I've acquired literally dozens of PCs since then (I have about 12 in the loft...) I've never built one.

(I actually started in the computer industry - selling mainframes - back in 1975, when 4K of memory was as much as you could dream of (it was more than enough for a complete multi-user accounting suite) and hard drives (originally, they were known as 'Winchester Disks') hadn't been invented.)

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Hah! I just checked. In fact, Winchester Disks were first introduced in 1973. My memory... :-(

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Doesn't matter anyway, some people are still using Win '98!

Like this post
Narendra

Likes # 0

Its all getting complicated these days, laptops, net books, smart phones and other gizmos1 BUt for me deskop pcs are ok.can not carry laptops!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Kindle Voyage release date, price and specs UK: a high-end eReader with Amazon’s best-ever...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room