We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

losing disk space at a rapid rate of knots

Damarc

Likes # 0

I have an Acer Iconia W510, a tablet/netbook hybrid. During an update procedure it would not close down properly and then wouldn't open up without diagnosis and 'repair'. However it said that it couldn't repair and I went through the options and decided on refresh. This allowed me to keep my personal files and apps but it lost MS Office and other installed programs. Before all the update installation i had 19gb left on a 64gb disk. When I checked after 'refreshing' it was down to 6gb. Why should this be and how can I get back my disk space? I've tried disk clean on Windows 8 but it says it can only bring back 22Mb which is peanuts. I went onto Acer's forum and somebody else had had a similar problem after updates but no one from Acer has commented. Can anyone shed some light on it please?

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

You could try running 'System Restore' to before the update. Then you can decide wether to run the update again or not?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try running disk cleanup twice. If you have the windows old. folder then it will remove it on the second run.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

May be a Virus as that is one of the things they do, creating lots of files

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

You can see detailed use of space with a free tool: TreeSize, it will give details of drives, folders etc. for you to look into.

Treesize">http://">Treesize

Like this post
Damarc

Likes # 0

I have checked the files that were modified during the 'refreshing and the big ones are as follows

Windows old 18.3gb, WinSxS 6.72gb and System 32 2.13 gb. What to do next please?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

The files are there so you can get any of your files that you need to save then delete the folder. This as a result of you doing a Refresh. It did it on my HP as I ran the backup that was created when new

Like this post
Damarc

Likes # 0

An update. My WindowsOld file has reduced in size over time from 18gb to 10.6gb. I also bought a 32gb micro sd card but it did not allow me to transfer Windowsold file to it, said the system would not allow it. I assume that over time the WindowsOld file is modified and parts deleted??? Thank you for your help over this.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...