We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Acronis clone, what am I doing wrong.

bumpkin
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi everyone, I use ATI 10 for backing up which works well. I want to change my daughters HD so opted to use Acronis to clone it to an external USB HDD with the intention of swapping over when done. THe cloning took about 5hrs!! then said it was complete and rebooted PC.

The External drive no longer shows in My Computer (her PC)nor does it show on my own PC. In Disk Management on my PC It shows as unallocated. Both are XP pro. Can anyone help on this please, I think I will need to do it again but want to get it right. The drive no longer shows in Aconis either.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

on my PC It shows as unallocated"" You might as well make a partition and format in your pc Disk Management, and then see if My Computer recognises the HDD (on both pcs)

I found this Cloning C drive to external HDD issues on Acronis forum "the best way to clone a laptop hard drive is to put the new drive in the laptop, and the old drive in an external USB or eSATA enclosure and boot to the Acronis Rescue Media and perform the clone from the external to the internal drive."

I know that says laptop, but it's worth doing on desktop IMHO.

Don't forget that for Acronis to 'see' an Ext hdd the Ext hdd has to be powered up and running (if it has a separate power supply as it should if it is a 3.5 inch) before you switch the pc on with the Acronis Boot CD already in the tray.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Have a read here:

Other thread

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi, thanks for your reply, the external HD does have its own power supply. I had created a partition on the drive (basic, active) before I started the clone, it was only after that it said unallocated.

Looked at the link but have already started XX clone which is still running at the moment. I have put the drive internal as I have never found anything reliable to clone to a usb drive, fine for back ups and restore from images they just don't seem to like the cloning for some reason.

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

I have had some bad experiences using Acronis Clone in the past, it would seem that unless you tell Clone not to, it will wipe the source drive because by default it assumes you in using the Clone feature you must be upgrading hard drives

Which could maybe sound ok if it by default also verified the newly cloned drive before it wiped the source which it does not ?

Cheers HC

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

OK back on the case, XXclone now finished and drive can be viewed and all the stuff is there, so that seems to have worked OK but it will not boot from that drive even though I asked it to copy MBR.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

John Bunyan, read your thread link and had posted on it which is why i am trying XX clone. Always worked for me in the past but missing the boot files it seems on this occassion. Another of my miserable failures to do the simplest thing.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I don't use Acronis (prefer Paragon) but I ususally clone to an external drive via usb. Seems to work ok. When the cloning is finished (the whole drive is cloned to the same percentage partitions) then I shut down the PC and remove the usb drive. I find that rebooting with a C drive connected by usb can confuse Windows. It might see it as a bootable drive when you already have the internal one. Why it didn't show on your PC I don't know. It could have been to do with booting up with the drive still connected. I simply clone, shut down the PC, change the drives and try a boot-up.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hello again, the clone I made using XX works fine now that I have added the boot files. Why it does not do that automatically baffles me but now sorted. Thanks to all.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...