We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Decisions on a smartphone- possibly a ZTE V790 or V960?.

spuds
Resolved

Likes # 0

A few weeks ago I posted an information request concerning purchasing a 'tablet' for a beginner's use. Having purchased a cheapo 'unbranded' tablet, I want to progress further into the realms of unknown (to me?).

Considering a 'smartphone', I have come with either the ZTE V790 or V960, which are both advertised on eBay and Amazon with fairly good reviews and 'value for money' indications.

Questions:

(1) Any opinions on the above two models (one is dual sim)?.

(2) Any suggestions for something similar or perhaps better for the same price range?.

This is not going to be a life and death or 'must have' purchase, but something to "get to grips with modern technology", for an amateur.

Any inputs gladly appreciated.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Some people forget to look at what they could buy it for when bidding.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

spuds

Just got a leaflet in from Virgin Mobile and for a sim card only and for £15 a month you get.

Unlimited calls.

unlimited minutes.

unlimited text messages.

Sim & Micro Sim

Now not sure if you can use both on the one phone or use 2 phones or you can only pick the sim that you need but seemed like a good deal to me.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Sorry should have been unlimited data for the first one followed by unlimited minutes and unlimited text. And a 30 day rolling contract.

Got it right that time.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Did a bit more research into this yesterday, and found that our local Argos store as now set-up a mobile phone section. Asking if this was an argos venture or a franchise venture, I was not given the answer. But the 'sales advisor' did recommend that I obtain a monthly package bundle, which i wasn't prepared to go along with.

A few doors away from Argos is a PC World store, so I made a visit there, to find that Phone4u had set-up shop there. Apparently Phones4u use to sell the ZTE range, but have now discontinued doing so, even though the in-store still carried information about that brand. The advisor seemed to refer that the ZTE was a cheap Chinese import, but he had very little knowledge of that brands reliability. He suggested a number of options, with the lowest priced option being the Samsung Galaxy Ace 2, which was "upgradable for the next generation".

Apparently the next generation upgrade is going to be called Key Lime Pie 4.3, a upgrade from Gingerbread?.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I very seldom use a mobile so I just use the £5 sim from Virgin mobile and get 100minutes and 300 text messages.

I cant see the point of me paying out an inflated price for a modern phone when I seldomly use it.

I think I may be stuck in the dark ages when it comes to new fangled phones etc.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I meant to add if buying direct from Argos they have a good reputation when it comes to returning faulty goods so maybe worth considering.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I am also in the dark ages when it comes to mobiles phones and the like, and this is one of the points that I made to the two advisor's yesterday. No tied contracts for an item seldom used, and no applications that I may never use, but more suitable for the person who sees these as a very must have, yet they themselves soon wear off the novelty, until another must have arrives.

My present mobile phones are perhaps classed as antique, but they still do the A to B job in an urgency.

Still didn't stop the advisor at Phone4u looking at me as rather weird on my requirements and limitations :O)

The other point mentioned yesterday, was the likely expensive cost of using the web, and possible extremely slow downloads?.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Whenever you get a smartphone you will be consuming mobile data just to receive e-mails, use the internet, access Facebook, satnav, etc. Most usage isn't that high unless you download/watch TV shows or videos. I don't do the latter and typically use around 250 - 300 Mb per month. I'm not a very heavy internet user on the phone. When you get a package either monthly or pay as you go then you need to check what data package is also being included. Using data overseas can be very expensive. Download speeds vary according to signal strength and whether it is 3 or 4G. 3G has fairly good coverage but 4G as yet has very limited coverage and is probably not worthwhile for the average user now. Download speeds on a phone will be generally slower than using a fast broadband service. However the phones can also connect by wifi. Connect them to your router or to a wifi hotspot and you can browse the internet fairly easily without incurring data charges and with a good download speed.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Perhaps I should add that a point to consider is what apps are available (free or paid for) in the areas that you are interested in. Most phones come with some pre-installed apps.

I visit London from time to time and I have 2 apps for that. One is a the tube map and the other is a route planner which tells me the quickest way to get from where I am to my destination using tube or bus and where to change, etc.

I also use an app (Planefinder) which tells me where the planes flying overhead are going to.

Other apps are local bus times, RAC traffic (warns of hold ups), BBC News and Sport, National Trust, Skype and Met Office.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Further advice or opinion required?

Four other models have been brought to my notice, and I would like to have further opinions, especially if someone owns any of the model's mentioned.

Samsung Galaxy Y

Sony Xperia Tipo

Huawei E7105 or Huawei Ascend G300

I realise these are not the latest model's and Android can range from 2 to 4 series. But any opinion on the make model would be appreciated.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...