We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Decisions on a smartphone- possibly a ZTE V790 or V960?.

spuds
Resolved

Likes # 0

A few weeks ago I posted an information request concerning purchasing a 'tablet' for a beginner's use. Having purchased a cheapo 'unbranded' tablet, I want to progress further into the realms of unknown (to me?).

Considering a 'smartphone', I have come with either the ZTE V790 or V960, which are both advertised on eBay and Amazon with fairly good reviews and 'value for money' indications.

Questions:

(1) Any opinions on the above two models (one is dual sim)?.

(2) Any suggestions for something similar or perhaps better for the same price range?.

This is not going to be a life and death or 'must have' purchase, but something to "get to grips with modern technology", for an amateur.

Any inputs gladly appreciated.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I'm not sure that I would buy either but then I've had a smartphone for some years and am fairly demanding of a phone. I don't see the point of dual sim unless you want one for work and one for private (different numbers) or want to put a different sim in when overseas. As far as I can work out the V960 is Android 2.3 which is rather outdated now.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Woolwell, the dual sim was more about the very slight difference in cost between the two models. Of the reviews, I noticed that most people used these 2 sim phones for dual purposes like home and business or overseas travel.Its not all that important to me, except being the 'better value' for the pound.

Regarding the Android, it does appear that (by the reviews)the two models can be improved by updates, especially by Google apps?.

Again this is all new to me, and any help or guidelines would be of great help, more as a leisure item capable of doing the basis or possibly a bit more with the right apps?.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Android updates for phones are usually provided by the manufacturer by linking your phone to your pc and using the provided software (downloaded). For example that is the way that Samsung do it and I think that HTC do as well.

Google apps are different and are effectively programs. You will already be using them on your tablet.

Personally I don't think that there is a substitute for viewing and handling a phone and suggest that you call in to some mobile phone shops and have a look round. Screen size, overall size and weight and OS and features are all things to consider. If using only in UK then you don't need to worry about tri-band or quad-band.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Glad you mentioned the Samsung, because going on the reviews, there does seem to be a similarity with the ZTE?.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Many of the phones are similar. Which Samsung model?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Woolwell- just checked and it appears to be the Samsung Galaxy mini. There was also a mention of 'Libre' being similar.

The Android version also appears to be 4.0 for the ZTE V790 model, which seems to be the main reviews giving the higher feedbacks between the two models I queried as the 'better value'.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Personally I would go for a Samsung compared to a ZTE. But that is because I know Samsung and hadn't heard of ZTE.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Since yesterday, I have been doing further research, and it looks like a visit to somewhere like PCW or Currys for an hand-held session, and perhaps go from there?.

Thanks again Woolwell for you input. Will now tick as resolved.

Like this post  
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Not PCW or Currys but try Carphone Warehouse or Phones4U or the mobile operator shops.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

When I ever venture in a Carphone Warehouse or similar establishment, they always seem to try and force a sale. My local PCW and Currys have got use to me, and see no point, because they always lose the challenge :O)

Point taken though.

Back to the ZTE's, they seem to be selling extremely well over the past couple of days, since I first started looking into that product. Still seeing people bidding at far higher prices than going for a direct Buy Now price, when there's no difference to the product and the companies selling the products?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014