We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laptop windows 7 start up fail

Aristocatman

Likes # 0

My Samsung RVS10 running Windows 7 Home premium suddenly went slow the failed to restart. I used Samsungs installed repair but it reported disc sector problem & recommended a new hard drive. In the end I did a full recovery as most info was backed up on my NAS unit. It is working OK but would you recommend fitting a new drive as this may be the start of disk failure?

Like this post
Devil Fish

Likes # 0

click start / Right click my computer / right click C drive / click properties / select tools tab /then error checking / if check shows a lot of bad clusters then yes prepare your self for installing new hard drive / if only a few it will try to repair them but as always make sure important data is backed up at regular intervals

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If there's any doubt, get a new hard drive while the existing one is still working - very quick and easy to clone the one to the other using Seagate or WD free clone tools (slimmed down version of Acronis). As it's a laptop, you'd need an external caddy to connect the new drive, but they're cheap enough.

Like this post
Aristocatman

Likes # 0

Thank you for replies, I will replace the drive would it be Ok to replace the 360GB drive with a 500Gb drive as the cost difference is small?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Yes that should be ok.You should be able to get an external caddy from Amazon for about £4.

Did you run chkdsk and did it find any faults.

Maybe safer just installing the new hard drive just in case you get further problems.

Like this post
Aristocatman

Likes # 0

New disc & caddy bought- good old Ebay all in an up & running I replaced the Toshiba 360GB with a Western Digital 650GB drive for a bit of extra capacity. Thanks to all for suggestions.

Like this post
chandrra

Likes # 0

nice discussion, I came to know many points regarding the problem mentioned. I appreciate the reply given by devil fish like a flow chart to correct the problem. happy that you got solved it, any how you try to avail the customer care services provided by manufacturers in future. I hope taking manufacturers services is good at any time. Any how if you are interested to know about the details of customer care services of different companies, you can get them by visiting this useful website http://customercaresupportnumber.com. it is provided here to help all the viewers so that they may clear their problems freely by calling on toll free numbers

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Something wrong with chandrra's site so maybe best staying away from it.

[The submitted domain is not valid.]

That's what I get when I put it in here.

Click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive: Samsung exits laptop market including Chromebooks

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features