We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sony Vaio recovery disk problem

Shorty070875

Likes # 0

Hi I've just bought a Sony Vaio and am trying to create the recovery disks. Each time I try it spends around 45 minds copying the first disk then comes up with an error no 142025 saying it doesn't work with this disk remove it and try another. I've tried 3 different disks so far and each 1 is the same.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Shorty070875

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I've tried 3 different disks so far and each 1 is the same.

Are you using the correct format?

The main thing to remember is to get discs that are of the same format as your DVD drive. For example, if you have a DVD drive that records in the DVD+R/+RW format make sure you buy discs that have that label on the packaging. You cannot use a +R disc in a -R recorder or vice versa. However, many DVD recorders now record in both the - and + formats.

You say you have used 3 different discs but have you tried a different make? My advice, when it comes to blank DVDs, stick with major brands.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

My advice, when it comes to blank DVDs, stick with major brands.

and burn at the slowest speed possible.

Like this post
Shorty070875

Likes # 0

Thanks, trying Memorex DVD-r now was trying Maxell DVD+r so hopefully it will work.

Like this post
Shorty070875

Likes # 0

Be helpful if they would just supply recovery discs when you buy the laptop

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I don't think they will do that when the likes of Acer charge about £60 for supplying you with recovery discs when you have problems.

A nice little earner from them.

I mentioned Acer because I tried them and that is how much they wanted I cannot speak for any other laptop producer but I would imagine it would be a normal charge from most of them.

Like this post
Shorty070875

Likes # 0

Looks that way. I know HP is the same. Last laptop I bought was ASUS about 4 years ago and they supplied it.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

The normal person who gets a new computer for the first time probably would not have a clue to how important the back up discs are and I would imagine a fair proportion of those would not know how to download and burn them to DVD's.

I have to agree with you they should be supplied with the computer when you get it.

Any luck burning your ones yet.

Like this post
Shorty070875

Likes # 0

Yeah thanks for all the help guys. It's worked not sure if it was switching to Memorex or switching from +R to -R but either way its worked. I think its the manufacturer cos according to specs on Sony site this laptop supports both type of disc drive.

Your right about first time buyers having to burn their own recovery, it probably puts a lot of people off buying them or even worse like me not realising till you've got it that you need to. It's not even like they've dropped the price to cover it if anything they've increased

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

On my sons viao laptop purchased recently from currys their charge was £15 for recovery discs

We made the recovery discs ourselves on Asdas own brand dvd-r (25 for £2.50)

Like this post
Liesbeth_K

Likes # 0

I have the same problem with my Sony Vaio! First I used philips DVD+R discs and now Sony DVD+R but both give the same error. The DVD-burner in this laptop is also compitable with all kinds of DVDs.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features