We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Frequent Internet Outages on One PC

SharkSpider

Likes # 0

Recently my desktop PC started having intermittent internet outages, where I would be able to ping the router (wired connection) but not any websites. These last anywhere between thirty seconds and two hours. Restarting the computer after uninstalling the network adapter drivers seems to get the internet started again, but the outages start soon after that.

Laptops connected wirelessly to my router don't seem to have any issues, nor do laptops that I plug in using the same cable setup as my desptop PC (after turning off wireless of course) so I'm quite certain that the hardware outside the PC is sound and that the problem is internal in the PC.

Strangely enough, when I connected the PC in question to a laptop and bridged the connections with internet sharing, the intermittent outages started affecting both the PC and the laptop simultaneously. The laptop regains its connectivity within seconds of being disconnected with the PC.

I haven't ruled out a virus yet, but I've tried several different virus scanning programs, and I've had Avast fully active on the trouble PC from the start.

Any help would be appreciated, right now the only way I can get a consistent connection is to swap the cable between a wireless laptop and my wall connection whenever it goes out, which seems to get me constant connection with breaks coming anywhere from thirty seconds to an hour.

Other notes:

Windows 7 on all PCs. No recent hardware changes. Rogers high speed in Canada, no way to change ISP. Network is about 5 PCs, all laptops except the one. Router responds well to ping tests during down time.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I will be watching this post with interest, because I raised a similar problem regarding a laptop that suddenly stopped connecting to the internet, and no real solution was found.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Rebooted the router?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Check services and make sure DNS Client is set to automatic and running.

When it is working ok right click the network connection on the Taskbar.Click on open network and sharing center.

Click on the Ethernet Connection.Then click on details.

Write down the IPv4 address.IPv4 subnet mask, IPv4 default gateway.and IPv4 DNS Servers there are 2 of those.

Then when the computer is not working go back in there and see if the details have changed.

If they have changed it is better to type them in manually.

Come out of details and click on properties.Then highlight TCP/IPv4 then click on properties again. Dot use the following IP address etc and do the same with the DNS.Then just press ok to get out.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?