We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Skype - Camera Not Working. OK with MSN

SURVEY

Likes # 0

Making video calls with Skype. I can no longer see myself and those I am calling cannot see me although I can see them OK. Never had any problems using Messenger Video calls, but of course Skype has regrettably taken over MSN. Initially when I tried Skype (whilst MSN was still running), my camera was fine. I use a Dell laptop on Windows 7 and have checked that my integrated camera is working fine. I have the latest version of Skype and so does the person I am calling. My broadband speed is not brilliant but always over 2MB. Any suggestions how to remedy this?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

What happens when you check Video Settings in Skype?

Like this post
SURVEY

Likes # 0

When I go to Skype Video Settings, there is just a black screen with the circular 'loading' symbol. Interestingly if I switch to 'Capture' via Skype settings, it shows my camera is working fine. There just seems to be a problem with Skype recognising the camera in Video call mode. It certainly used to work on earlier versions of Skype. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Skype with no improvement. Can it be that 2MB broadband is too slow for the latest version of Skype? And if so does the Video Setting in Skype reflect the broadband speed rather than the ability to recognise the camera?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I had exactly the same problem recently in Skype (I love Skype and have never used Messenger or any other similar program). For days/weeks I struggled to figure out what the problem was, I was using the Logitech 9000Pro webcam on my laptop. I got so fed up (after much email correspondence with Logitech) that I bought a Microsoft LifeCam Studio, no problems since then, all working perfectly!

Your broadband speed should not be a problem.

Like this post
SURVEY

Likes # 0

What puzzles me is that the Dell integrated webcam used to work fine with Messenger and also with Skype. The person I am trying to speak to on Skype is also using the same Dell latop & camera and has no problems - markyou he is using BT Infnity at speeds I can only dream of!I can see him fine but he cannot see me!

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

If it has not been too long since you upgraded your Skype, perhaps a System Restore back to before that upgrade might get you back to the Skype which was working?

Like this post
SURVEY

Likes # 0

Well, why didn't I think of System Restore? It would be my normal way to correct a fault. Tried it, back a month and Skype now works. The version that works for me is 6.3.0.107. The latest update obviously screwed up my system. Now I just have to remember NOT to update!!

Thanks for your timely reminder!

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Great, thanks for your feedback.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

How to watch the Windows 9 launch event: no live video stream so catch our Windows 9 launch live...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK