We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Friend 'needs' Microsoft Office'- How much?

buel

Likes # 0

Hi, My friend's mum is about to start a computer course of some kind and is pretty sure that she needs M'soft Office (Excell definitely). Please can I ask what sort of price she will be required to pay? I appreciate that this is an obvious question as I can just go to their site and check but I wondered if anyone knows of any reductions available etc? My friend has a 'Works' CD that he says he has yet to use on his laptop, would this do, please?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If she or any children or grandchildren are in education you can purchase from Software4Students Microsoft Office

Who is eligible "any family member or guardian can buy on behalf of a pupil or student"

Yes it is genuine, many on here have purchased from that site.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

That is two links I've posted for different pages of website. I just noticed it looks as if I only posted one :) the 2nd link is for Who is eligible

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

A possible Free alternative, which I believe is compatible with Microsoft Office is Open Office ...

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Thank you SO much for that. Unfortunately Im now confused by the difference between them? For example, Microsoft Office 365 University needs proof of being a students? I believe she just needs the basic Word, Excell, etc and not the likes of 'One Note' or 'Publisher', etc.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Whichever one you choose, I don't think you can pick-and-choose the elements of it, they come with the package. So saying she only needs this or that, does not come into it.

I may be wrong perhaps, but I don't think so.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

buel, you wouldn't be so confused if you read the info. Look closer and read the info on the licences at the bottom. I think you will find that the Office 2013 Home and Student Perpetual license - 1 PC is the one to look at.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

As she will be doing a Course, she will be entitled to a Student Copy in her own right. The College, will provide the necessary documentation and possible link as to where to buy it.

I would avoid 365 unless you are living in a Metropolitan area as it requires constant Net access and, although I have not heard anything yet, I believe there will be issues of ownership, of On-line Files, at sometime in the future. I would also, if possible, get Hard Copy (CDs, you may need to pay a £10ner extra) rather than downloads

What is the Course and why is she doing it?

A little bit of planning might be of benefit here as the Student Copy will be hers for long after the Course is over and so it would be sensible to look into the future and see what programs she might be needing.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

More choice on Amazon.co.uk seem to be about same price as Software4Students. You can get MS Office 2010 as well as 2013. Home & Student editions, both are about same price.

You buy the keycard and download the .exe or .iso from Microsoft (Digital River)

Here's the page with details and all the direct download links for Office 2007, 2010 and 2013 if you want to burn a DVD and install on a trial basis prior to buying a key.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

When I bought my laptop I got a copy of Word and Excel with it. They are fully working versions and the only difference is that they have a small 'Nag' panel. From what I have heard its quite common for new machines to have this as part of the 'included' software. You have to find it and 'install' it for want of a better word, but if you only need Word and Excel it does the job.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Not got a clue as to what this does but it is free for 24 hours.

Click Here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

The Samsung Gear VR is better than the Oculus Rift (kinda)

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...