We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Compaq Presario 2100 laptop battery not charging

ardeebee

Likes # 0

My Compaq Presario 2100 laptop runs OK on mains power and the battery light on the front of the casing shows as a steady yellow indicating that the battery is OK and is charging - but IT ISN'T. In Control Panel>Power Options>Power Meter the Total battery power remaining shows as 0% (Charging) and the Power State shows as "On line, Charging" but the 0% never changes however long it is left on charge. Any suggestions, please?

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

How old is the laptop/battery? Laptop batteries have a finite life, often of less than 2-3 years, and you may be looking at buying a new one.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Laptop Battery not showing Charging 1. Turn off the computer, 2. Take the battery out 3. Take out the power supply 4. Push the power button down for 30 seconds. 5. Reconnect power supply 6. Then the battery.

Also try cleaning the battery connections

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

my HP laptop battery is still going strong after about 4 years. But a laptop or car battery can just fold, without any warning

Like this post
ardeebee

Likes # 0

Thanks for the comments & suggestions. I only acquired the laptop recently but believe that it may be several years old. However I understand that it has always been run on mains power so the battery capacity has never been an issue. I've tried the suggestion from Fruit Bat but this does not seem to have made any difference. I had seen a similar idea on another old forum. It does seem to point to a faulty battery although the in-built indicators etc show that the battery/charging is OK. Earlier forums have indicated that buying a new battery has NOT solved the problem in similar cases. Perhaps I'll just stick to mains power!!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

As its an old machine then the battery has probably had it.

Like this post
ardeebee

Likes # 0

The in-built Battery Optimizer reports that the battery is working correctly and I've seen other forum posts stating that buying a new battery hasn't solved the problem. So I think I'll just stick to running off mains power!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...