We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

XP Logon Password

Legslip

Likes # 0

My friend has been given a laptop on departure from her old company. However, when she switches it on, it searches for a network connection and asks for a Username and Password. She can't remember them as it was a while ago she left.

Is there any way of recovering these or destroying them to make the machine usable? It asks for the same in Safe Mode.

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Here is a link to a site where you can download a password reset program. It needs to be put on a cd and boot from cd. http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/ Select the option to unlock the account and after a reboot it should let you in.

If not the only other option would be to re install the OS.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Use ophcrack to reset the Admin password

Create a new account

Copy over any thing you want from the old account to the new one

then delete the old account

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Struggling with this. Tried JollyJohns Pogostick and after trying to delete Pwds I still get at boot with XP PRo 'preparing network connections'. Then I get 'the system could not log you on. Make sure your username and domain are correct etc'.

Any further assist?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

At the log in screen

Username select "Administrator" Domain select "?????this laptop"

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruit Bat. Will try tomorrow and advise.

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Thanks all. Cracked it! Used Ophcrack and removed Pwds and logged in with a Username that showed. Prob 1 solved!

Prob 2.... I now want to Factory Restore the laptop. It is an HP 2230s. I am now in Vista and can see a HP Recovery Sector on D: but there is nothing listed to access it via START- PROGRAMS. I have tried on Boot, ESC then F11 but that just takes me back to Windows. Any ideas how I can Fact. Restore?

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Sorry, it's XP!!!

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Don't worry people. Going to reformat completely. Thanks for all your help and assistance.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite