We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Static IP Address & Broadband Speed

Legslip

Likes # 0

My friend has been told that their Bband speed is slow (1.9mb/sec) because they have a static IP address. Does a static IP Address impact on speed?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes

Most ISPs will require you to have a Dynamic address

I had my TV box connect to the net on a static address to make it easier to use certain programs to move files from the box to the PC for editing but found that the picture stuttered with a static address but was good with a dynamic.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

I can't see any reason why a static address should make any difference. It's simply a number that identifies who you are.

I've run with a static address for years now with no ill effects.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

Legslip

Which ISP your friend's with? Is his/her broadband slow speed issue constant or temporary ? I'm with O2 on static IP connection for years without any slow speed issue but lately it drops to 1.5 to 5 Mbps occasionally for a short time possibly due to migrating network to Sky.

Fruit Bat /\0/\

I think Legslip meant static WAN IP not static local IP.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I get about 9.6mbps on an "up to 8 mbps" service with Talk Talk (Pipex) - been on a fixed IP for years.

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Retep888. They are with TalkTalk. Speed is constantly slow (1.9). They are about 3/4 mile from the exchange. They have been advised to go on another package to get a higher speed.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Who advised them to go to another package, because if there is a problem with the line or at the exchange, then moving might not resolve the issue.

I had a number of problems with disconnections, slow speeds and all the rest of it. Talktalk (my ISP) said the fault was on my side, it wasn't, it was on their side. After contacting the CEO direct, all sorts of help became available, and I ended up with a reasonable speed with no further disconnections. My speed went from 'about or below' 1Mbps to 6mbps, which the latter speed was the speed BT OpenReach (at the time) said was the maximum for the line.

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Thanks Spuuds. Similar situ here. Had to go to Chaimans office to get something done. The slow speed IS of their making and they state that it is because of the IPS capped at 2mb/sec. They advise a change of package but unless they offer a good deal as a gesture of goodwill then it will be a change of ISP! I have a liking for Plusnet at the moment. My customer experience with them thus far has been good.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Try turning the router off at the back for about a minute then back on, retest

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Thanks Woodchip but that was the first thing I tried. The 2mb speed was at the incoming BT NTP with no back/internal wiring connected.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I'd give Talk Talk a chance to resolve this issue first, even though it may take time, then if still not happy, then think of changing ISP. Why you should change 'package' to up the speed baffles me unless the customer requested a 2 Meg download connection on original contract for the price.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?