We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Help needed with fitting an IDE to SATA adapter !

Paul33

Likes # 0

The challenge is simple enough ..... I need to fit a new SATA DVD-RW drive to an older PC with only IDE connections.

PC World have sold me a "Bi-Directional IDE to SATA Adapter" and I've given it my best shot without success !

I have connected the adapter to the motherboard at the socket that previously carried the IDE cable to the dead IDE drive so that old IDE cable is now disconnected. I have connected the power cable (supplied with the kit) to the adapter at one end and a spare MOLEX power supply at the other. I then connected the SATA data cable to the adapter at one end and the DVD-RW drive at the other ...... and that's it.

I'm a bit bothered that the ONLY connection at the DVD-RW end is the data cable and the SATA Power socket on the back of the DVD-RW drive has nothing connected to it. I returned to PC World as I figured that can't be right and, after talking to three different techies, I was told that the power to the DVD-RW drive is carried via the data cable (I'm really suspicious about that explanation but who am I to argue with the experts !).

I have booted up the PC and no sign of the DVD-RW or any power to it.

At the start of boot-up, I get a stalled black screen which includes the message .....

DRIVE 2 not found: Parallel ATA, PATA-0 (PRI IDE Master) DRIVE 3 not found: Parallel ATA, PATA-1 (PRI IDE Master)

I'm obviously doing something very wrong here so can somebody put me out of my misery ?

Any help appreciated !

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

but who am I to argue with the experts

You are having a laugh surely.

You do need to connect a power supply to the Sata DVD drive.

Can you post a link to the thing you bought?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Please can you post a link (copy the url and paste into Reply to topic box) to the Adaptor you have bought.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Is this the one ...?

click here

Like this post
Paul33

Likes # 0

Yes it is !

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Instructions

Hope this helps.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

DVD requires a power cable, powers does not come via the data cable.

Like this post
Paul33

Likes # 0

Good old PC World - reliable as ever !

Thanks for your help folks ...... appreciated !

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If you just got the adapter and no cables then this is the set-up. Adapter connects to the ide socket. Molex from PSU to adapter. Sata cable to Optical drive. Molex from PSU to drive. Cable needed is Sata. If you don't have more than one Molex output cable on the PSU you will need to buy a Molex splitter (gives two output from one) and make sure cable is long enough. So, power to adapter connected to mobo. Sata cable from adapter to DVD drive and power from PSU to dvd drive.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

If you do not have a SATA power connector you can get a MOLEX to SATA adapter.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Good old PC World - reliable as ever !

Pardon? Does this mean your problem is Resolved then?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote