We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

System is causing Problems at Startup

Chandio
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am using my computer since five years but it start causing me trouble about 4 days a go. first I was using my system as usual and suddenly a "Blue Screen" comes some how system manages to work then next day that screen comes twice I search on net and I thought may be it is due to virus so I formatted my hard disk and reinstalled windows XP it works fine for two days. After two days when i start it, it is not starting its now showing a complete black screen I remove the RAM to make an idea weather its an issue caused by ram or what but there is no beep there I think RAM is fine.

What is this issue is the system is so old, or I have an issue with PSU I had also cleaned the system it not dust free but its quite clean

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

it is not starting its now showing a complete black screen

any fans running? any noise from the hard drive?

Like this post
Chandio

Likes # 0

The fan is running(top fan on the processor) after multiple restarts the system gets a perfect boot then all things are fine. I have to switch off/on electric power few time to make the system boot.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 1

That sounds as if the PSU is dying

Like this post
Chandio

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat if I don change the PSU then will it effect other components. and how can u say that its has an issue with PSU.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If the PSU blows completely it can take the motherboard and hard drives with it.

I have seen he symptoms you describe several times before and it is usually cured by testing with a known good PSU.

The PSU is one of the components that large manufactures such as Dell /Gateway / Mesh tend to scrimp on in their systems in my experience of repairing PCs.

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.

2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp.

3. The correct connections for your equipment

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.

Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.

MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.

Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply. Why weight matters http://www.directron.com/psu.html

2. Power supply calculator http://www.antec.outervision.com/

3. Correct connections Some boards have 20 pin connectors others 24 pin There is often a 4 pin plug required to power Intel CPUs Molex D plugs for IDE HDD and CD/DVD drives SATA power connections for latest HDDs and DVD drives.

Guide to changing PSU http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-install-or-change-my-computers-power-supply

http://compreviews.about.com/od/tutorials/ss/DIYPSU.htm

HP and compaq PSU problems guide http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3739786&docname=bph06788

Like this post  
Chandio

Likes # 0

Thanks for your answers but I have to clear one more thing that is I can see tow lights probably green in color on motherboard I meant to say that I think mother board is receiving electricity besides fan on processor is also running therefore it might be possible that there is some issue with the mother board not the PSU what do u say (waitin for you reply)

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Very often in this situation, the easiest fault analysis is to substitute one component at a time. So, as FB suggested, try plugging in a known good PSU. If that doesn't cure it then it could well be a faulty mobo. The fact the light is on and the fans run doesn't always mean the PSU is OK as it provides a number of different voltages, any one of which could fail.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive: Samsung exits laptop market including Chromebooks

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features