We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Computer stops and restarts for no apparant reason

JF25

Likes # 0

My computer has started to stop and restart for no apparent reason I first noticed it when I shut down and windows said not to cut power as there were updates. Shortly after this started the PC stopped and restarted with the message that windows had stopped and I should pick from alternatives or windows would start normally in 20 seconds. This it did and I tried to install the updates manually but got as far as downloading them but when it started to install it stopped and restarted again with the same message.

I have not come across this before. OS is windows7 Home Premium. I have tried Tune Up Utilities 2013 but it does not seem to have helped. any advise welcome Thank you JF

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

A bit of a wild guess, but if you have CCleaner installed on your computer, then try that programs 'registry check', and see if that comes up with some information?.

When you say that you have tried Tune Up Utilities 2013, "and it does not seem to help". What did you do, and what occured?.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

What sort of PC and how often does it do this.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

It may be overheating, give it a good clean out to make sure the heatsink and fans are not clogged up with dust.

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

If you are saying you turned the PC off when it told you not to then its likely you have a corrupted OS.

Before it applied the updates it will have created a restore point. My suggestion is that you restore from this backup.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more