We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Updating to Windows 8.1 with start button when you already have one ?

Dragon_Heart
Resolved

Likes # 0

I installed 'Classic Shell' onto our sons new laptop running Windows 8 to give him back the start button etc.

Anyone got any ideas what will happen if we update the operating system to 8.1 ?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Well I think that you can update it from 25th-26th of this month as a trial.

I get the feeling that you may loose everything on your computer if you have to do a new upgrade.

Whether you would need to Download classic shell again I don't know but as far as I can tell it is only the start button that is coming back and not the menu and all programs.

Some folk have probably already downloaded it for use so we need someone that can give us an idea as what to expect.

I may wait till the end of the year till the official download is available depending on the verdict of those trying it out soon.

If just some of the same as we have on W/8 I will not be in a hurry to download it,Only time will tell.

At least we know that we have classic shell to fall back on providing it works with the new version of W8.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

It will probably overwrite the Classic shell files.

I will only go to Windows 8 (Visa Mk 2) when the get rid of the totally pointless Metro. Or rather I will wait for Windows 9.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

For those that download it this month.

Microsoft has gone on record as stating that users who download the Windows 8.1 Preview edition will have to reinstall all of their applications when they upgrade to the final version of 8.1. Redmond claims that all account information and data will remain unaffected.

Like this post  
Sebire

Likes # 0

Not good

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more