We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 updates just keep coming

thumbscrew

Likes # 0

I recently upgraded from XP to Windows 7 and I'm astonished by the number and frequency of Microsoft updates that I receive. Whereas XP pretty much only updated on Patch Tuesday,I now get updates every few days and they're still arriving. Can anyone explain why there are so many, so often?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

13 tonight for W/8.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Just upgraded they will give you the most important ones for your computer first then keep finding more but always best to install them in sequence.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

If you have Windows Defender running, the malware signature updates for it come every few days via Windows Update. That may well explain your situation.

I find it a bit of a pain as I don't want 'normal' Windows Updates to install automatically, just notify. But I'd prefer Windows Defender signature updates to install automatically (just like my Avast ones do). But seems you can't have it both ways.

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Thanks Jock. Batch, had another seven today...this is becoming silly! I've just checked and found Defender turned on. I'm unsure if I should disable it....any negatives if I do?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

If you don't use Defender turn it off.I also turn Windows Updates off and turn it back on on the 2nd Tuesday of every month.

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

If you do decide to turn off windows defender , please make sure you have an anti-virus program running

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

Windows Defender is more of an anti spyware / malware software app than being an anti-virus. See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/products/features/windows-defender

If you haven't got any other similar software I'd suggest keeping Defender (as well as a good anti-virus). Apart from the frequent updates I don't find Defender intrusive.

The 7 updates you've reported above will probably be due to Microsoft's monthly roll-out of updates that happens on 2nd Tuesday of the month.

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Thanks Batch, Jock and Nick...I've still got Avast, wouldn't that suffice?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Yes that would be ok.Defender is at the bottom of the list when it comes to anti malware programs.

If you do not have one try MalwareBytes.Emisoft or Superantispyware.

1st thin I always do on a computer is switch Defender off.

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

I agree with Jock1e , I can certainly recommend malwarebytes .

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers