We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Installer tries to complete an installation of a successfully installed program

Garawa

Likes # 0

Hi

Where and how can I find installation files belonging to a program already installed on my PC? I bought a job lot of CD labels and in order to print on them it requires "exPressit" to be downloaded. It is an abysmal program but it has successfully installed on a few occasions however, on start-up, the PC tries to "complete" the already completed installation and fails when it unsurprisingly cannot find the files it needs. This takes quite a number of clicks of the cancel button and will stop other software from completing its installation. This has been the case for each version of the software but the company appears to have changed hands and I cant find any help from them. As soon as all the paper is gone I shall uninstall it but until then, does anyone have any ideas as to where I can find the offending files and get rid of them?

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

There are many CD printing programmes available, many come with printers. What printer are you using?

Like this post
Garawa

Likes # 0

I have a Kodak all in one. It doesn't print directly to the pc, it prints on the paper templates for the discs, sleeves and spines and of course that requires the specific software to match the templates. I still have about 40 sheets (80 discs) left so am reluctant to buy more paper when it should be fairly simple to delete a file or two (said with fingers firmly crossed)!!!!

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

Proba\bly your best bet is to look at the Kodak site for your specific printer and try to download the software again. It should be available, somewhere on the site.

Like this post
Garawa

Likes # 0

This isn't anything to do with the printer! I bought some paper with CD templates on, which you print on and then stick on the discs but for the printer to print in the right places, you need the software that comes with the paper! It's that and there is no help available anymore for the software.

So as the software is fully useable and has installed correctly on a number of tries, there must simply be some remnant file left over that fools Windows Installer into thinking it still must complete the install. Its THAT I want to remove to leave the software as it currently is and not waste 10 minutes of bootup time trying to cancel something that completed months ago!!!!!

Like this post
Garawa

Likes # 0

Anybody?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I opened Windows Media Player and under File | Print Label and in the Templates list there is listed PressIT CD Label [A4]

I haven't installed it, the template must come as standard with Windows Media Player

Have a look at yours and see what you've already got. There is a picture at side of each template that shows you the page layout.

Tip: print one out on plain paper and hold it up against one of your CD labels sheet and see if print matches up with boxes.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

As for the Windows Installer you prob need the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility which has a new name now http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301 and Fix problems with programs that can't be installed or uninstalled support.microsoft.com/mats/Program Install and Uninstall

or you could disable Windows Installer from popping up

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Software for PressIt labels can be found in several download locations this is one example but as Lotvic says the label printing software provided by most printer manufactures includes a template for using PressIt labels. Canon Label print gives a selection that not only includes Pressit but also Neato and generic A4.

Like this post
Garawa

Likes # 0

Thanks for that, had no idea WMP player had that so will have a look.

If I disable Windows Installer, how would that affect any future installations that need the PC to be restarted in order to complete or do they just complete it in the background without user intervention?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Think about that last sentence.. "future installations that need the PC to be restarted in order to complete" (or maybe it's just me)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia