We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

vista not geniune

gazzaboy20
Resolved

Likes # 0

hi. I updated my windows vista service pack 2 and now there is a problem somewhere. The bottom of the screen says this copy of windows is not genuine and im getting a pop up box saying windows modules installer has stopped working and has closed. I can still acess internet and files though. There,s an update pending which dosn't seem to be downloading as its at 0% ?? Any clues. Its asking to reinstall from original disc and im not sure if i can do that or not. Would a system restore help? Thanks

more: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/23/windows-vista-help/4235108/windows-update-caused-a-problem/#ixzz2VoH8xUof

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Maybe your install just needs to be reactivated again here is how:

Goto Control Panel\System and Maintenance\System

Scroll down to "Windows activation"

Click a the link "Activate Windows"

Follow though the wizard to activate over the internet.

If that doesn't work start the wizard over again and select activation over the phone.

It will list a phone number to call Microsoft and they should be able to help you with the problem.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

It appears you may have a corrupted file in your Service Pack 2 - I suggest you go to Control Panel - Programs & Features - View Installed Updates - uninstall SP2.

Then - Download SP2 again from Microsoft - reboot your computer - Install SP2 again.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

The Windows Installer can be re-started in Services.

Like this post  
northumbria61

Likes # 0

This is also running in the Vista Forum also - enter link description here

Like this post
gazzaboy20

Likes # 0

i have just checked this and there arnt any installed updates. When i booted pc up it tries to finish the install. but i dont think it gets that far thats why i am getting the pop up telling me to reinstall from disc. I also tried to activate the product key shown in the computer properties screen and the same happened.

Like this post
gazzaboy20

Likes # 0

hi. I just did a system restore and it seems to have rendered the problem. Many thanks guys

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

App cloning: the mobile software industry’s hidden shame

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features