We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

External hardrive and back up software

allanon

Likes # 0

I am running a new windows 7 pc and I am looking at buying an external hard drive and software to provide a back up for my system. I have suffered from problems in the past and I wish to avoid future problems. I am looking at getting at least a 2 TB hardrive as my system has a 1TB internal. I have been advised to look at the Seagate STBV2000200, and according to reviews looks a good drive. Has anyone had any experience positive or otherwise or wish to propose an alternative drive. I have about £80-£90 to spend on the drive.

In addition can anyone recommend an easy to use back up software. I am a novice so any advice gratefully received.

Thank you for your time

Like this post
Procrastinus

Likes # 0

As far as the backup software is concerned, I use the free version of Allway Sync
With the free version you are limited on the amount of data you can synchronize, so make your first sync. a copy/paste job and then you can just top up as required as new files are added.

Like this post
Procrastinus

Likes # 0

PS - try KLS Mail Backup for your emails.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

Seagate 2TB Expansion USB 3.0 3.5" Desktop Drive Dabs £67.99 with Free Delivery

Acronis True Image 2013 Download £19.95

Total £87.94

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Windows 7 has it's own backup Software. So far, it has worked perfectly for me, but I've never yet, had to restore a whole Drive.

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 0

If you have a western digital drive anywhere within your system you can download and use a cut down version of Acronis true image, i do a couple of clones of my main drive plus I use klickfree for my data as a belt and braces.

Like this post
Abel

Likes # 0

I agree with wee eddie! What's wrong with Window 7's own back-up facility? It's served me well.

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

Seagate also have a cut-down free version of Acronis true image so if you have or buy a Seagate drive you can download it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia