We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Need upgrade advice on old(ish) PC

arogance1

Likes # 0

I have a PACKARD BELL BV ISTART 2380

I know it is a single core processor (2.40 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64) and I have noticed many games will not work with it.

Also, when the wife is playing on Facebook games, she complains of slowdown, task manager showing 100% cpu constantly)

The motherboard is NVIDIA GeForce 6100 nForce 405 (onboard graphics).

Can I upgrade the processor? Or will I need to replace the motherboard, processor, graphics card, and then memory if not compatible until its cheaper to buy a new PC?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

This is pretty old tech you have and I think that it would be cheaper in the long run to buy a new base station.

You do not state what sort of games you are playing or trying to play but I doubt if they are going to be the latest FPS's, so dependant on what games you are play and what your budget is will determine your options.

You could try increasing RAM, adding a graphics card which might mean upgrading the power supply, you could even put a slightly faster CPU which would handle games on Facebook but not much else.

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Hi The only upgrade I would consider for this PC is RAM. Go to Crucial website and run the scanner. This will identify your PC, how much RAM is installed and how much could be installed.

I agree with Chronos, money best spent on a new PC but I would avoid Windows 8 still.

Like this post
arogance1

Likes # 0

I already have 4Gb Ram, and Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit so more RAM won't help.

I was hoping to play Rift when it goes Free to Play.

When the wife plays Facebook games (Farmville or whatever), Flash maxes out the CPU. Would a dedicated Graphics Card help?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I think that you may have only a 250W PSU. You will need to check that your power supply is adequate before installing a separate graphics card.

Probably time to bite the bullet and consider a new system.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

The other thing to consider, if you haven't already done so and if you're comfortable with it, is to reinstall Windows (or do a factory reset) after backing up your data. It's a fact of life that PCs just grind to a halt over a period of time as they get cluttered up with all manner of crap - and a fresh install of Windows can often make a PC run like new again. That was certainly true for XP, perhaps less so for W7 - but it's got to be worth a try before you spend money. For sure, RAM isn't your problem, the processor isn't a bad one - and I'm not sure a separate graphics card would do much for a game like Farmville.

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

OK. Running W7 32bit will only access about 3.5GB of the RAM less whatever onboard GFX uses. A separate GFX card will help, a little, but the system still can't use all the installed RAM.

Have a look at www.3000rpm.com website, look under systems and they do systems from £200.

You could break your current PC down and sell as components on eBay to recoup some of the cost?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia