We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Restoring Pavilion 9500 &/or nVidia 8400GS driver.

Furkin

Likes # 0

Hi all,

Last week I updated my nVidia driver. Having said that, I think it down-dated it !

I say ‘down-dated’, because I lost the high resolution settings etc.

When I boot up now, the display settings are wrong. The best Resolution is now 800 x 600. This gives me the roundel, shaped like a rugby ball (I knew my limited sport knowledge would come in handy,,,,).

I also have 4 screens on top of each other. They almost stretch across the 17” screen, but each one is squashed into about 2” high – so almost impossible to read.

I wanted to do a Restore, but can’t find it on this machine. When I look in Control panel > Recovery, the options I get are ‘Refresh’ & ‘Reset’. It looks like Refresh is the one I want,,,, (Reset takes it back to factory settings – losing everything) but I can’t read things properly.

I want to boot into Safe Mode, but unlike most of the machines that I have seen, this one has different ‘boot’ instructions (Del, F2, F8, F11 etc). I’m sure I made a note of them,,,, but must have left it on this machine – hence, can’t see it ! (yep – I’ll be doing another list, to keep away from the machine !?).

I downloaded the driver from the nVidia site, and selected the 8400GS, so I assumed it would be right.

What’s the quickest/easiest way to get things back please ?

Thanks for reading.

HP DV9500 + Quanta 30DA + Turion 64x2 TL60 + HDD 1 Sam HM500J1 + HDD 2 Scorpio WD1600bev + nVidia 8400GS + Mem x 2 Crucial 2gb + Win 7 ult (32)

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Have you tried going into Device Manager - Display Adapter - right click on your card - properties - driver tab - roll back driver?

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

Thanks N61,

I've looked at it (as best I can in the circumstances) but it looks like that option isn't enabled.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

If you are sure you have the correct driver downloaded (to your desktop or wherever) then go into Device Manager and uninstall the current driver. Reboot your PC and then install the new downloaded driver.

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

If I Uninstall the NVidia 8400 via D.Manager, will the machine revert to some 'on-board' graphics ?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

If I Uninstall the NVidia 8400 via D.Manager, will the machine revert to some 'on-board' graphics ?

Yes you will get the basic drivers needed to use the monitor.

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

If I can actually see it - or make it out - I'll delete the NVidia driver & see how it goes.

Will report back,,,,

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Complete guide to iPhone and iPad settings: Get to know iOS 8 Settings UPDATED