We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Going to change my internet supplier

ponytail

Likes # 0

I am changing my internet supplier sometime soon and and as both our laptops and the printer are operated wirelessly I am not sure how I go about changing the wireless password on all three items Laptop 1 is a Asus K73E Laptop 2 is a Samsung N130 The printer is a Brother DCP-J315W

Can someone advise

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Can yo explain more, as I am not sure what you mean. Surely you only have one password which is your router password and all three items that need access use that password.

When you change ISP's you will,I assume, get a new router which you will stet up changing the default password of course. So if you change the default password to the one you are using with your existing router that will save any issues,I think.

You could, dependant on your new ISP, use your existing router, if it is one that you bought, obviously it will need to be set up for use with the new ISP but that is usually quite simple.

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

My new ISP supplier BT is supplying a router at the moment my three machines laptop x 2 and printer use the wireless password on my current router but when I get my new router it obviously will have a different number.But not sure what to do in order the three items to recognise the new password

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

As Chronos says: probably easier to change the password once on your new router rather than three times on the PCs that will attach to it.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Sorry, I should have said - change the password on your new router to be the same as the password on your old router. It should be very easy to do.

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

Hi Guys I did not realise you coul change the password on a router if that is possible it would as you say be a lot easier but how is that don does anyone know

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

AS I and Ian in Northampton have pointed out just change the password on your BT Home Hub,or whatever it is called, to the password you are using at the moment. I am assuming that you changed the default password on your existing router and know what it is?

I think you are possibly confused as it is unlikely that each laptop and printer have individual passwords.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I assume that BT will be installing your new router (it will probably be the new Homehub4), I am sure the engineer will be able to sort it for you. The Homehubs' Password and other details are stored on a removable card which slots into the back of the router.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Click here

Click on the image to rotate it, you will then see the card I mentioned above.

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

On the back o my current router there are two items Wireless Network Name and Wireless Password

The second is what I used to connect all three items so when I receive my new router I should be able to change its wireless pasword to the one I have at present

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I don't think there will be any need to change the new routers password, read through my link above and you should find that connecting items wirelessly is mostly automatic.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback