We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to get a Google search box in Google Chrome?

stlucia2
Resolved

Likes # 0

I've been using Google Chrome for a few days now, and overall I'm happy with it.

I've got all my bookmarks from IE8, but one thing I'm missing is a Google search box in the bar at the top of the screen. With IE8 I had Google Search as my home page, and I also had a Google search box at the top right of my screen. How can I get that with Chrome, please? At the moment if I want to Google something I have to open a new tab, or click on the "Home" symbol, and then click on Google Search. Not a show-stopper, but not quite as simple as my previous system.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

From Google.

In Google Chrome, the address bar doubles as your search box, so you don't need a second search box. Like the Toolbar search box, the address bar provides suggestions based on popular Google searches, spelling corrections, and your own browsing history and bookmarks.

Like this post  
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If you want your home page to have the usual Google look with search bar in the middle, click the customise button (three bars top right), click Settings, on Start Up, click the radio button for 'open a specific page' then type google.co.uk in there.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Like Chronos said: just type your search into the address bar. It's wonderfully simple.

Like this post
stlucia2

Likes # 0

Thanks for those replies.

I've just tried using the address bar as a search bar and it works fine. Brilliant, I don't need a Google Search home page with that, so I'll leave the default home page as it is.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features