We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 8 not recognising keyboard and mouse

MikeSA
Resolved

Likes # 0

One of the USB ports on the front of my computer suddenly stopped working. I then went into Device Mananer and under Universal serial Bus Controllers, uninstalled the first two items listed, hoping that when I re-start, what I uninstalled would be re-installed. But that is not the case. When I switch the machine on again, both the keyboard and the mouse no longer work. Only the start screen appears. Neither the light on the keyboard nor the light on the mouse come on. And the only way to switch the computer off now is to unplug from the mains. I am running Windows 8. Can someone please help?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You can switch pc off safely by holding in the Power Button on pc for about 10 seconds.

Ref the usb, not sure why they didn't reinstall, have you tried them in different usb ports? There must be something wrong if one of front usbs suddenly stopped working. Will post back if/when I have any ideas.

What is make and model of PC? Did it come with W8 pre-installed?

Like this post
MikeSA

Likes # 0

Hi Lotvic : Thanks for the response. Besides the specific ports for the keyboard and mouse, I tried all the other ports (two in front and two at the back), but none are working now. With both the keyboard and mouse not working, I cant"t even get into BIOS as pressing the relevant key on the keyboard does absolutely nothing. The mouse cursor does not even appear on the screen.

The computer is a no-name brand with a WIBTEK H61 Motherboard, an Intel G630 Processor, DVD Writer, 4GB RAM and 500GB hard drive. Without a keyboard and mouse, is there any way of re-installing Windows 8 without having to format the drive hard? In any case, without a keyboard and hard drive, even formatting the hard drive is not possible.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Try this: Remove electric plug from mains so no power to pc, remove the motherboard cmos battery (the small round silver flat battery about size of 10p), wait at least 10 minutes, then replace and switch on. Also while battery is out hold in the power button on pc for about 15 secs - to discharge any residual current.

After battery is replaced the Bios setup will return to its default settings and keyboard and mouse should be recognised by bios setup again.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Ooops, "Also while battery is out hold in the power button on pc for about 15 secs - to discharge any residual current"

Should be "Also before taking battery out hold in the power button on pc for about 15 secs - to discharge any residual current. "

Like this post
MikeSA

Likes # 0

Lotvic thank you so much, it's worked. Everything is working fine again. I was able to enter BIOS and under SATA MODE SELECTION, changed IDE to AHCI (whatever that means) and ENABLED HOT PLUG, EXTERNAL SATA and SPIN TO DEVICE which were marked DISABLED. I came across a thread on another forum suggesting that. However, some threads advise that with Windows 8, the default should always be IDE. Do I now go back and change AHCI back to IDE?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Glad you got your keyboard/mouse back :)

re the IDE/AHCI question, I can't answer that as I don't know. Maybe you could start a new thread about that then others that do have an opinion will be able to help with advice. My only thoughts on it are 'whatever works...'

If you think original problem's sorted, you can close this thread by clicking on one of the big grey ticks at the right of any post and it will turn green. When page is refreshed the Thread will be marked 'Resolved' (Can also be Unticked by reverse - click on green tick and it will turn grey, etc)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

oops again, forgot they've moved the tick from the side to underneath posts now :~

Like this post
MikeSA

Likes # 0

Oh, another problem. Although the computer is working fine once more, I note that, upon bootup, the Megatrends logo appears on the screen and underneath is this message : CHERCKSUN ERROR. PRESS DEL TO ENTER SETUP. And immediately thereafter, the machines boots and the start screen appears and everything works fine. Do I ENTER SETUP but what needs to be done there?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Is this the first time you have had this message or is it happening every time?

It usually indicates that bios cmos setup has been set back to default setting.

First, you need to check you have put the battery back in properly so that cmos is able to retain any changes you have made in the bios setup. (you did remember to save your changes if you made any?)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Oh, and don't forget to reset/alter your system clock to the correct Day and Time for your Region.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia replaces budget Lumia 520 with 530: Release date, price and specs

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer