We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to fix a black/blank screen problem

peter_j

Likes # 0

Hey All - A little while ago my laptop (HP dv4) screen went blank when I powered on. I could only see a black blank screen that seemed to have light. Although I am able to connect the laptop to an external display and it will display just fine. At first I thought it was the inverter, but that did not work. I then replaced the LCD and that did not work. When I hit Ctl+Alt+Del on the blank display the computer display blacks out and blanks back in, signaling that it did get the message, but I still cannot see the display. I am out of ideas on what could be the problem. I ruled out the motherboard because I am able to connect the laptop to the external display, am I wrong in making that assumption? Any other suggestions?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Could be the ribbon cable that connects board to display. Not unusual for then to give problems after a while because of the flexing that occurs each time the lid is opened/closed. Usually quite cheap (I changed one on my Samsung netbook recently - under a tenner) so worth a try

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

An example from ebay here.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Just rechecked those ebay results, and the goods are direct from China (not ideal, but sometimes the only way), but the postage charges, for most, are ludicrous. Ill have a look fro some local based outlets.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

One from Amazon UK

Like this post
peter_j

Likes # 0

When replacing the LCD, I did whole top swap, so all the cables and such are in good working order. Unless the person I bought the LCD from had a faulty LCD.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Well, I don't know what to make of this but worth watching, you tube video.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Hmm. I have had these laptops where the black screen is there all the time, and that's always been caused by poor soldering on the video chip. BUT, this one displays OK on an external monitor. Odd.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Did you have to press a key combination to make it display on external display?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 release date, new features and compatibility: Free to download from 6pm

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?