We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Advice for Upgrading PC Hardware

Zumi

Likes # 0

Hey everyone,

I built my PC about 6 years ago and honestly I completely forget what I should be looking for in hardware to upgrade. I was hoping I could post what I have here and get some advice on what I should upgrade to. If not, maybe someone could point me in the right direction to find everything myself!

Here's what I have now:

• 2.3 GHz cpu
  • 4 GB ram
  • non-SSD hard drive (I want to upgrade this, I hear it makes a big difference)
  • NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512 video card

I play games on this PC, but not crazy shooter games. Right now I'm playing mainly Guild Wars 2, but I'd like to be able to turn the graphics up and use a recording software if possible.

Any recommendations? And thanks in advance!

Like this post
Dragon_Heart

Likes # 0

The info you have given is a little lacking in detail !

Operating system

Make / model of motherboard etc

With a six year old system you may need to start again !

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

As Dragon_Heart has quite rightly pointed out, a few more details are needed, like motherboard, CPU, power supply wattage.

as for upgrading a 6 year old PC, probable end up spending money that would be pit to better use getting a new base system. You will have a monitor, keyboard ETC so that will save money.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

To add my bit, trying to update a 6 year old computer can bring a number of problems, depending on how far you want to upgrade and at what cost. I have gone this route on a number of occasions, and found that it might have been far cheaper and perhaps better to buy new, with a full warranty on all components.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more