We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

? Bogus notifications re posts ???

AroundAgain
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi This morning, I've had two notifications of further posts in a thread I posted in, in April. Clicking on the link takes me to the thread but there are no new posts, so I have gone to PC Advisor Forums and the title of the post is in the New Posts at the top of the web page but, again, no new posts.

This is the notification

A new message has been posted to the thread ‘Looking for a new tablet’ on the PCAdvisor forum.

The message was posted by 'urstrinath' on 07/06/13 @ 08:15

To view the new posting on the thread please visit the following page:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/2/tech-consumer-advice/4223985/looking-for-a-new-tablet/?pn=1

What is going on? Does anyone know? Have other posters in the thread had the same, I'm wondering?

The only thing I can think of is that they have been removed already or is this the workings of a virus etc?

I do hate things happening on PC that have no explanation - it always gets me concerned that something is amiss.

I would appreciate it if anyone can enlighten me here. Thanks very much

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Maybe the original poster of the two new ones decided to withdraw them. Not sure if this can be done on this forum though.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Maybe the original poster of the two new ones decided to withdraw them. Not sure if this can be done on this forum though.

Nope cannot be done.

As for the original question the notification email is very hit and miss, see my own post, so I would not worry to much about it. Here.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

People posting to old threads ( couple of months or more) are often spammers and when the FE finds a spammer all their posts are deleted.

so you get a notification but when you open the thread thereis no posting to be found.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Seeing how this forum works, then the above answers in my opinion are correct, it can either be a deletion by the Forum Editor or a bit of tweaking. Neither is worth the bother of getting upset or worried about it?.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Just a guess: There was a posting, but it was Spam and was removed before you got there

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Just a guess: There was a posting, but it was Spam and was removed before you got there"

That's precisely what it was. If a spammer posts anywhere on the forum the thread originator will get an email notification - unless he/she has unsubscribed. When I delete one spam post all previous posts by that person are also automatically deleted, wherever they are.

That's what will have happened in your case.

Like this post  
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Thanks very much, guys I'm happy that it's because of deletion (thanks for the confirmation FE) It's the first time it's happened to me, hence I was wondering why it had happened. Cheers

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made