We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Running a GeForce 210 PCI Express 2.0 on older motherboard?

bbr620

Likes # 0

hi, got an older type motherboard which is an Asus A8N-VM with the older PCI Express x16 slot on it. Installed the card and the system passes post but monitor doesn't come on and i just have black screen. Only has a 300 watt PSU which is stated as the minimum on the card specifications. Do i need a larger PSU to power the card as it is brand new. The card doesn't require additional power to run it as i can't see any 4 pin power molex on it so i assume it runs of the pci-e slot.

any ideas, thanks in advance

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Have you tried re-seating the card and made sure that the latch is securely locked down? Looking at the spec I don't see a power issue. Can you try the card in a different machine just to make sure that it is working?

Like this post
bbr620

Likes # 0

thanks for the suggestion. yes i already tried reseating the card and the latch was in place. i also screwed the flange to the case so all was sitting flush.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Did you get the card new?

Is this card replacing another one?

Possible PCI-E slot problem? I had/have a similar problem on a more modern board which does not power the monitor no matter what GPU I try, works fine with onboard graphics just not with a card.

Your PSU should be more than enough but if you can try a more powerful one it would not hurt.

Like this post
bbr620

Likes # 0

chronos. no card was in slot, was using on board video but attemped to install card as i wanted HDMI out for the output

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Looking at your motherboard manual and you do not have to do anything in the BIOS to enable the GPU to work.

Can you post make of card? Does the fan on the GPU spin when you power on your PC even though you get nothing on the monitor?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Had similar problem with my motherboard. Installed an Nvidia card but the onboard was AMD. So had to connect the monitor to the onboard GPU connection so I could see to install the Nvidia drivers. After installing the drivers I shut down, not reboot, changed the connection, and it's been ok since.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback