We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Boot up problem with windows XP pro

Carryduff

Likes # 0

Hi, I recently reinstalled windows xp pro and everything is fine except an annoying boot up problem. I keep getting the message, Diskette drive O seek failure. I have to press F1 and then a screen appears asking me to choose my windows version and press enter. Everything is ok after this but I really would appreciate any help to sort it out Thanks

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Diskette drive O seek failure. You need to disable it in the BIOS setup.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

lotvic

My link above explains how to do exactly that :-))

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Nontek

No it doesn't :-))

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

lotvic

True, not exactly the same, but end result is just as good:-)

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Now then children - play nicely!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Disabling Floppy drive in Device Manager does not always solve this error.

IMHO That depends on several factors and I was considering some of them.

You would still get the same 'Diskette drive 0 seek failure' whether or not a harddrive with a bootable OS was connected to pc.

Does the pc actually have a floppy drive? and if so is it faulty and can't be read to see if there is a bootable floppy diskette inside it so cmos setup is not moving on to the next bootable device in boot order list. (Halt on All Errors setting may be a factor there)

Does the cmos battery need renewing (cmos setup returning to default 1st boot device 'boot from floppy' every time pc is switched on. The clock also will be wrong/losing time if battery is the problem.

The boot order in the bios/cmos setup tells it where to look first for an OS to boot from, in this instance it is looking at the floppy drive, and is unable to read it to determine if there is a bootable floppy diskette inerted in the drive. That means either the floppy drive is faulty or there isn't one installed.

My conclusion is the boot order in BIOS setup needs altering and floppy disabled in there.

onthelimit1 LOL I am :)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

playing nicely, I meant :)

Call me pedantic if you want but I was trying to cover most bases as not much is known about pc. Of course there may be a totally different reason for the boot up problem, hope someone will post if they have any info on possible different reasons.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

pedantic

Agreed - I think CMOS could need changing and disabling Floppy in BIOS is best way to go.

Actually, that is what I meant to say in the first place - really :-))

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Nontek, :)) friends. Hope Carryduff gets it sorted out.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Convincing leaked photos show iPhone 6

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014