We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Has IE8 come to the end of its useful life?

stlucia2

Likes # 0

I've been happily using IE8 as my default browser on my Windows XP machine for many years now. I tried Firefox for a long while, but always had to go back to IE for some web sites, such as doing an internet check-in for a flight, because the site wouldn't respond to input via Firefox. Last year I ditched Firefox because it clashed with some of my other software after an update.

Now I'm beginning to find more problems with IE8: First there's the running script problem with this site; then on another of my favourite forums it keeps going back to the top of the page, instead of where I left off, when I go back from reading or contributing to a particular thread; and lastly, since about a week ago I can no longer get local weather and news on the BBC News web site -- the site prompts me to input my postcode but doesn't respond to my input.

So now I'm trying Google Chrome, and so far it's not causing the three issues mentioned. Should I also be moving on from XP to 7, or should I wait for the next Windows that works with PCs that don't have touch-screens?

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

I've used Google Chrome for years. On the rare occasion I've had to use IE I've been frustrated by its slowness. It takes ages to load and sits around for ages waiting for pages to load in.

I still use XP on my desktop and Win 7 on my laptop, and I think I still prefer XP.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Agree IE8 is now rubbish but 9 onwards will not work with IE I mostly use FF with an IE plug in for those sites that only want to see IE.

Like this post
stlucia2

Likes # 0

"... but 9 onwards will not work with IE ..."

I don't understand you there Fruit Bat; what "9 onwards" won't work with IE?

BT, I haven't had a problem so much with slowness with IE (except on this site, where it takes an age to decide it doesn't like some kind of script), but rather some functions seem to no longer work properly. Seems like web site designers are using language/routines/whatever that are not supported by IE8.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

I think Fruit Bat may have meant that IE9 onwards won't work with XP - I'm not sure.

But: give Chrome a try. It works fine on XP - I've used it for years, and it's light years better than IE8. But, be aware: there are sites that will only work with IE. I had a nightmare on a UK government site recently that plain just wouldn't work with Chrome - but accessing it with IE proved to be no problem. (The site's tech support confirmed that it won't work properly with Chrome.)

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I have used most of the major browsers switching between them for many years. XP users are limited to IE8. With W7 and 8 I have moved to IE10 and now prefer it to Chrome. Chrome is my second choice and I rarely use Firefox nowadays. However there are some sites that need IE compatibility mode to function correctly and even then do not work well with IE10 and then I switch browser. A few sites don't like Chrome but I have found less and less. Firefox generally doesn't have a problem nor does Safari. I gave up on Opera as it changed a number of file associations. If I was limited to IE8 then I would use Chrome as my browser.

ps Royal Mail SmartStamp tends to only work with IE and probably Firefox as the default browser.

Like this post
stlucia2

Likes # 0

Thanks for all the input.

Chrome certainly seems to be doing the job better than IE8 for me, but it's a shame that browser designers can't get together to create a common standard for HTML or whatever language it is that web sites are designed in these days. It must be nightmare for people who are not so computer-savvy, who are just stuck with a single browser because that's what their PC was loaded with when they bought it.

So, on to the second part of my original question: Some people seem to be still happy with Windows XP, as I am, but when will the time be right to upgrade to a later version? I think I read somewhere that Windows 8 is shortly to be updated so that it works better with conventional PCs (no touch-screen) -- am I right there, and would that be a good time to upgrade? Or is Windows 7 so good that it will survive as many years as XP has?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

W8 takes some getting used to. I have a touchscreen laptop and I like it but I am far from sure that I would like it on my desktop. W7 is good and I consider it to be better than XP. XP is coming to the end of its support life and it may be about time to change. However if installing it on an existing system then you need to check that all of the drivers are available, etc. and that things like scanners work. I have an old scanner that on W7 64 bit has to use a Vista 64 bit driver which I was lucky to find.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

I have two PCs in my home office. One - my primary 'personal' one is XP. The other, which I use mostly for work, is W7. Personally, I'm not fond of W7, and continue to prefer XP. That may be because of long term familiarity, but I can pretty much get XP to do anything I want. I've found very little that W7 does that I need that XP doesn't do - and a few things that downright annoy me. The only thing that might make me change my XP machine to W7 would be if I decided to upgrade to an SSD: by all accounts, XP doesn't handle those very well. The fact that XP is nearing the end of its supported life doesn't worry me. I've never upgraded to SP3, and never had any problems. As things stand, I wouldn't consider W8 - I've really heard too many bad things about it.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I switched from XP to W7 a couple of years ago and much prefer it, mainly on security grounds and because XP is limited to 3.2 gig of RAM. I did run a dual boot XP /W7 for a while but soon got rid of XP, and I use IE10 quite happily. I agree with those who have doubts about W8 and have no intention of switching - unless I buy a new PC.

Like this post
stlucia2

Likes # 0

Thanks for the further replies.

I've run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and it says that I'll need to perform a custom installation of 32-bit Windows 7. It also says that Outlook Express will no longer be available but, other than that, my PC seems to be okay.

So I think I'll stick with XP until something stops working.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 930 review: The flagship Windows Phone 8.1 smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Live Blog: Apple financial results, record June quarter, 35.2m iPhones sold, $37.4b revenue

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger