We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Google knows I am in Greece so only gives me Greek!

johnincrete

Likes # 0

I am in sunny Crete, Greece. On my very old XP desktop, occasionally Google goes Greek but is mostly English. On my new Dell Inspiron laptop running Windows 7 and the latest Firefox v21, Google always is in Greek. I even tried entering www.google.com and it changed it to google.gr. The search results are always in Greek and mostly give Greek websites. (a) How does Google know I'm in Greece? (b) How can I convince it that I want English (and will even accept American) (c) If I have a website in Greek, how do I get Google Translate to put it into English

You may say "Learn Greek" but I know many who can speak Greek but do not understand the technical stuff that even Greeks have problems with!

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Morning.

Don't how to help as it's all Greek to me, boom boom.

On A more serious note can you not change your home page to google.co.uk?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Might be something here. Google

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

First of all, Google knows everything - or wants to. Try another search engine.

It is more than likely to be because cookies and cache are cleared when you close Firefox that Google defaults back to the language of the country in which you are at present.

A solution used by many people is that if by clicking on the Google.com in English link that should appear in the lower right corner the problem still arises then you can bookmark that link and click on it when you need to.

Regarding translating whole web pages - this may help but be warned it will probably not make much sense as it does a literal translation of the words rather than conveying the context or true meaning of what is written.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try this as your home page. Might work.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I prefer IE10 and Chrome to Firefox as I find that with both browsers it is easier to set the default search engine to UK using manage settings.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

a) from your ip address.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 launch event live: Windows 9 launch live blog - find out first as the new Windows is...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK