We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Second Hand Dell Optiplex GX260 computer needs a logon password ...

Aitchbee
Resolved

Likes # 0

...I bought it today from a charity shop for a tenner, as I already own a GX260 and thought it might come in handy for spares etc.

Anyway, the computer boots up ok but it is asking for a logon password for the User name 'Administrator' ... which I do not know. [xp pro].

Can I use my 'almost identical' GX260 computer to overcome this password 'hurdle'.

BTW. I have a good backup of my old computer which I may use as a last resort to overwrite the charity shop computer.

Thanks in anticipation.

Like this post
trippyderek

Likes # 0

hello can anyone tell me how i can get my music and pics from an old broken laptops hard drive? thanks

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

trippyderek - take out the hard drive and install into an external USB enclosure, the try to copy them over to another computer.

... it's quite a simple procedure as long as you have your wits about you and the right tools [small screw-driver] to hand.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Have you tried just pressing enter?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I've tried that, FruitBat/\o/\

Like this post
trippyderek

Likes # 0

what is an external usb inclosure is that an external hard drive or a usb thanks

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Windows2k/XP Try this:

1- boot to the windows xp/2000 CD ,

2- press enter to start setup ,

3- press F8 for the license agreement ,

4- when you get the option to repair the current installation press R to do so ,

5- let it run through and for windows XP wait until it reboots and is installing, devices then

press shift F10 to open a command prompt. For windows 2000 wait until it is registering

components then press shift F10 to open a command prompt. ,

6- In windows XP either type in "nusrmgr.cpl" w/o quotation marks at the command prompt and press enter. For windows 2000 type in "control.exe" w/o quotation marks and press enter. This should open up the user accounts applet in XP and the regular control panel in 2000. ,

7- select the users and change or remove their passwords accordingly, apply settings and close the control panel windows and command prompt windows so that just setup is running again. ,

8- let the inplace upgrade finish.

The user should now be able to log in when it finishes and not have to reinstall the programs like in a parallel install.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

trippyderek - it is a gadget which allows you to put your laptop harddrive's contents via a usb connector onto another computer so as you can save your music files to another working computer ... it's a very useful gadget to have and costs between £10 and £15.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Fruitbat/\o/\ will give that a go, tomoro. Thanks.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

trippyderek

you should really start your own thread on this subject not hijack someone else's thread.

how old is the laptop you need to know whether its a SATA or IDE connection for the drive before you buy the USB enclosure (caddy) they look like this">http://www.datarecoverytutorial.com/wp-images/recover-data-from-laptop/external-usb-enclosure.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.datarecoverytutorial.com/recover-data-from-failed-laptop-notebook/&h=450&w=600&sz=57&tbnid=tc1ZQ2XNcb35_M:&tbnh=93&tbnw=124&zoom=1&usg=___5661xj-mmx-8XOlk9e-jNwCD5E=&docid=YbG2Gf0OOXIS1M&sa=X&ei=daavUbqJPOfP0QWby4DgAw&ved=0CIMBEPUBMAg4Cg&dur=2977">this you insert your old drive and connect to a USB port on another machine.

the prices vary but you can pick up a sata to USB

Like this post
trippyderek

Likes # 0

its not a dead old one its got hdmi port on it so its a acer aspire

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...