We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Libre Office - any problems

itnein

Likes # 0

I have heard good reports of Libre Office, but has anyone come across any snags? For example, if I create a document in Libre Office can I send it as an attachment to an e-mail and, if I do, can the recipient open it in MS Office or do they also have to have Libre Office?

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

No. Yes if you save it as a Word document then send it.

Like this post
itnein

Likes # 0

Sorry, but I am confused. Does this mean that I have to have MS Office in addition to Libre Office? If so, what is the point of downloading Libre Office? I was hoping to use Libre Office instead of MS Office.

Does this mean that I can not attach documents or spreadsheet created in Libre Office to an e-mail because unless the recipient has Libre Office, they can not read them?

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

When you create a document in Libre Office you will have the opportunty to save it in various formats. Saving as a Word document (.doc) will enable a user of Microsoft Office to open it. The same applies to spreadsheets and other file types. Since it is free, why not install it and see for yourself?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

If you are new to Libre Office, then I would suggest that you have a look at YouTube, because there are a number of tutorial videos available to possibly watch and learn from.

Like this post
Clark-Kent

Likes # 0

I do not want to confuse you further, but you should know, that interoperability of LibreOffice with Microsoft Office does not work perfectly; e.g. if you use Writer, create a document, save it in a Word format (doc/x), and open it with Word, it will most probably look very different. You might see formatting losses, weird layout, missing objects, or other issues.

If best possible compatibility with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint is very important for you, you should better try FreeOffice. This is another free full-featured office suite, but it has the excellent import and export filters from SoftMaker integrated, those are unrivaled on the market. FreeOffice has several other merits, e.g. it's faster than LibreOffice, it has no problems with password-protected files, it has a better user interface, etc., I personally prefer it. You get it here for Windows and Linux:

freeoffice.com

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'