We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

cant get computer to boot up

toniclady

Likes # 0

my partner has a pc, hes running xp but it wont up and he cant get into bios to change anything, it wont recognise the cd drive, hes tried the motherboard disc but to no avail, any help much appreciated thanks

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Not sure if removing the CMOS battery and reinstalling it would reset the Bios or not.

Like this post
toniclady

Likes # 0

he is at work now, i will ask him tomorrow and come back with more details if thats ok ??

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Ok catch you tomorrow.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

thats ok as long as you ask him to post with the full details, starting with the Make and model of pc, and how many internal harddrives there are and how they are partitioned, then detail what happened, and also why it's needed to go into the bios settings.

We need to know everything or else we are just guessing at the problem.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Can I add that it doesn't matter if details are not easy to explain, just do best you can and don't be shy, we will help :)

Like this post
toniclady

Likes # 0

hi guys, sorry my partner didnt have time to come on so here goes.....he has a hand built pc to his own spec, he has 1 TB hard drive....he took the CMOS battery out, that did nothing, it is just a black screen, doesnt recognise the cd drive so cant boot off the cd, he can see in the side of it as he has a see through side and said he can see the processor spinning .......but nothing comes on the screen.....hope this sort of helps

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

The processor doesn't spin but the cooling fan on top of the heatsink does.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/23-computer-tour-video.htm

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

What sort of noises does it make, do you get any beeps?

Is the monitor powered on? check the leads to the monitor and from the PC.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Just a black screen.maybe try another monitor if nothing else works.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV setup advice: Apple TV hacks to help you create the ultimate Apple TV hub in your home