We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

cant get computer to boot up

toniclady

Likes # 0

my partner has a pc, hes running xp but it wont up and he cant get into bios to change anything, it wont recognise the cd drive, hes tried the motherboard disc but to no avail, any help much appreciated thanks

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Have you tried safe mode by tapping F8 as the computer starts.

Does it not start at all or does it get to the sign in.

Anything running on it.Anything appearing on the Monitor.

Like this post
toniclady

Likes # 0

hi i dont think he can get anything to work i think its either the blue screen or just a black screen....he is usally good with pc's, but he cant do anything as he cant get into bios, is there another way ...thanks

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

How old is the PC? Sounds as it's given its best.

Like this post
toniclady

Likes # 0

its only about 3 yrs old...he said he had dragged and dropped a hardrive, so now nothing is recognised

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Maybe check the air vents are not clogged up with dust and fluff if so inside will need cleaning out as well.

I don't suppose it was loosing time or date before this problem started.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Well it should not be any of my last 2 suggestions.

Like this post
toniclady

Likes # 0

hes cleaned it inside and out, no fluff or dust, and the clock and time were working properly

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

dragged and dropped a harddrive? Well he can't drop it in the Recycle Bin. Do you have the restore discs burnt? If nothing of importance on PC (backed up music, photos and docs, mail, browser favourites) etc, then use the restore discs.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Can you get your partner to post and then he can tell us the full proper details.

If he wants to get into the Bios setup, that has nothing to do with harddrives, in fact you do not need a harddrive connected at all to go into bios setup.

Like this post
toniclady

Likes # 0

i dont know what he meant by the drag and drop either.....but he said it wont recognise the cd drive and the bios have gone completely.....

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...